No longer getting a full day's use out of the S8+ battery
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

Samsung Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955U); running Android version: 8.0.0; Samsung Experience version: 9.0 and the device was purchased in May 2017

Has anyone been experiencing the issue where you are not getting a full day's use out of the S8+ battery. For example, you will start the morning off with a fully charged battery at 100% and before 12 noon (1/2 the day) the battery is down to less that 50% thereby forcing you to recharge the battery.

When I bought this phone back in May 2017 I was able to get a at minimum of a 1/2 day's use out of the phone before I have to recharge the battery; not in 2018 I can barely get 1/2 a day's use of the phone. A day for me is 24 hours.

I have already master reset the phone twice and still getting the same issue. I have literally turned off various alerts and still before 1/2 my day is over I am down to less than 50% battery.

It has been my experience that despite the engineers best efforts to improve battery life these phones' batteries degrade over time but I cannot fathom paying over a $1,000 for a phone whose battery life severely degrades after barely a years use out of the phone.

Any have any viable and/or workable situation to this issue.

Regards.

0 Likes
Re: No longer getting a full day's use out of the S8+ battery
bearone21
Legend

the phone's 18 months  old & you acknowledge degradation of batt life over time & charging everyday makes it happen sooner.

Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

Right, I get that. But it is sad that a phone that is less than two years old and cost almost $900+ cannot be relied on after about a year of use. And with phones running as much as mortgage/rent payments one would expect better battery performance. A couple of years from now if not soon the average flag ship phone will cost $2,000; let's all hope that battery performance will get better.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it'll never improve, they would like to see you upgrade every two years.

many articles say at 500 charges the batt starts dying & it sounds like you're charging more than once a day.

i get my wife's hand me down i-phones when she upgrades, last one to an 8+ & i use 'em on wi-fi only.

i just checked batt health on her old 6+...3 years old & shows 79%..

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having your battery percentage go low before noon is not acceptable.  I know how important it is to make sure that you get more battery life Bruce27u01. I know phones aren't cheap and you want them to last as long as you can.  I would love to help. I do appreciate you doing a factory reset on the phone but I would like to ask you a few questions. Has the phone encountered any physical or moisture damage? When you did the factory reset did you install all your apps right away? 

Amber_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

That is what I did with my Note 3. When it stopped giving me a full days use I use it as a wifi device for watching movies, etc. I will do the same with the S8+ in about another year or 6 months and then toss my 5+ year old Note 3.

It seems like these batteries issues occur right at about the two year mark; so it looks like I might have about 6 months before I turn the phone into a wifi phone and get a new device.

Another thing I hate is that the new phones come with unremovable batteries so ur forced to upgrade when the battery reliability is severely degraded.

Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

Amber_VZW,

I re-installed ALL of my apps on the device when a master reset was performed. The phone was in a case sine it was bought and it had not been dumped in water,[removed]

Frankly, I think that the battery is getting old and will eventually degrade so much that I will be forced to upgrade to a new device.

​Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

2 years is when the big fish hook comes out with promotions you just can't live without!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bruce27u01,

Upgrades are certainly not forced and Verizon has no control over the life of your battery. With any device, battery life can degrade over time simply from regular usage. There are certainly ways to extend battery life and you can find out more here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-210390/

Adam_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

I consider this matter close as the only real solution is to upgrade to a new phone which is only a temporary "solution" as the problem will reoccur again and again and again. The real solution is for engineers to do a better job of designing phone batteries that last longer than two years.

0 Likes