NO GPS
hdmarc
Enthusiast - Level 2

On 10/23/2014 at 12:02 my Samsung Galaxy 4 recieved software update SCH-1545_NC5_to_NG6 from Verizon Wireless. The next morning when I went to turn on the phones GPS, the icon was missing from the notification bar and in it's place was an icon that says Location.My phone no longer seems to have GPS. When I turn on my driving program,it says it can not find GPS. Does anyone know what happened and how I can get GPS back on my phone?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NO GPS
Mister_Grumpy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I suspect that the root cause for your navigation issues is your use of 3rd party applications and their incompatibility with the NG6 update. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

View solution in original post

Mister_Grumpy
Enthusiast - Level 3

GPS is still available on your phone.  You engage it by selecting the "High Accuracy" mode in Location.   You get there by selecting:

Settings > More > Location > Mode > High Accuracy.

Your choices are Location Off, Power Saving, or High Accuracy.

High Accuracy uses GPS, Power Saving uses the cell towers to triangulate (approximately) your location.  Off is obvious.

hdmarc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Mister Grumpy, I had done what you suggested, but I use Waze for my driving directions and when I turn it on I get the message "No GPS, Showing approximate location".  Now I do still get directions, but that message worried me about the information I was receiving.

0 Likes
Mister_Grumpy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I suspect that the root cause for your navigation issues is your use of 3rd party applications and their incompatibility with the NG6 update. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

stef7
Master - Level 2

After you set High-Accuracy, then you should try GPS Status or something like that. Make sure you can get a fix... Or use Google Nav. Now when you go into Waze, is there any error message?

hdmarc
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems that Mister_Grumpy was correct in his suspicion that Waze was the problem,  This  GPS problem started while I was on a vacation road trip in California from Seattle.  So I concerned that the GPS directions would not be accurate.   To answer your question stef7, when I turn on Waze the message I get is "No GPS, Showing approximate location", but upon further investigation I see that is only if Location is On.  If it is off the message is that "Waze needs Location Accuracy, Please select High-Accuracy in Location settings."  So Waze knows what it needs and works just fine and got me home last night OK, but it still gives the "No GPS, Showing approximate location" warning.  I also tried Google Nav as stef7 suggested and received no such warnings, but I prefer Waze, so I will just ignore the warning.  Thank you both for your help.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Hopefully you reported the issue to Waze development. My wife LOVES the app on her iPhone. There are some interesting things about it, although I've only used it once. Glad you got it figured out with Mister_Grumpy's info.

0 Likes