My brand new S5 was broken out of the box.
jim777

My brand new S5 was broken out of the box. It did not send or receive calls, and it took me 3 days to realize it. It is being replaced by a "certified reconditioned" phone one week later after 3 phone calls to support, one Verizon kiosk visit, one Verizon store visit, and 90 minutes of online chat.

Why am I not getting a new phone when Verizon Edge is charging me $600 for a brand new phone? I don't want a $600 used phone, I want a brand new phone for my 600 dollars!!

0 Likes
Re: My brand new S5 was broken out of the box.
Not applicable

If within 14 days you could have swapped it out where you purchased it. Can cancel everything and pay a restocking fee. Verizon dinged you with that used device replacement.

Take it as a another Gotcha.

Good Luck

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jim777, it's important to us that you have a working device. You may return or exchange your device for a brand new device for any reason within 14 days. Thereafter the 14 days, your device is covered under the manufacturer warranty. However, your warranty replacement device undergoes a 100 point check system to ensure that you have a great wireless experience.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jim777

I wasn't told at the Verizon store I could replace it with a new one - I was told a refurbished one would be sent to my house. That was yesterday, I am supposed to get the refurb tomorrow. Obviously, Since I am paying for the phone with the Edge program I am NOT happy about paying full price for a refurbed phone. Once it comes, I will bring them both to the Verizon store and ask for a brand new one again. And this time, I will make sure it actually connects a call before I leave.

Thanks for the assistance Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

Good Luck.

You see sometimes without knowing your rights you lose them.

You will get a hassle since it now is past 14 days. Stand firm or take them to small claims court for the $600+ for not honoring their worry free guarantee.

0 Likes
jim777

It's not past 14 days, I got the phone on the 22nd and today is the 30th. I'm taking the broken phone and the refurb'd one (that was dropped on my door without anyone signing for it) to Verizon tonight and asking for a new one, new in box. Not "new to me". If they say no, they can take it back and I'll grab a refurb'd S4 off eBay or something.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ah..I thought it was more than 14 days. Sorry

The new device should have no problem being returned for a brand new device. Under worry free guarantee.

Make sure you get that refurbished device back to Verizon. Make sure you have it scanned at the post office when you send it back. Keep a copy of the receipt. Store don't normally take back the refurbished devices. And if they did make sure you get a valid receipt for it.

Verizon is famous for saying they did not get the device back.

Good Luck

0 Likes
tailynn
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've also seen the post office itself lose devices where my tracking number showed it was in sat baltimore for 2 months.....

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ah but in Baltimore still proves you sent it back.

In a small claims court case, you only need to show the judge the package progress. Proof of sending it back. If its in Baltimore it was sent back.

Since you used Verizon's Return to Vendor Label all that is needed was to show it was in deed returned.

Don't let them charge you for a device when it is between the Postal Service and Verizon. Not the Post Office and Verizon and you. You are out of that equation.

Good Luck

0 Likes
tailynn
Enthusiast - Level 3

They refunded me the non return fee within 48 since it was lost by the carrier and not just not returned, since it was a proven loss by the post office. I guess it depends on the CC agents you get.....