Re: Lollipop 5.0 killed my Galaxy S5!!!  Where's the update???
Tidbits
Legend

If you flash the CURRENT version, but not the older version.  There's a difference.  The guy above didn't need to flash KK just the Lollipop.  Odin erases everything anyway it set to do so.

If there was a new version of Lollipop then you would be able to get the newer versions.  You wouldn't have to downgrade to get the new one.

The reason why the Knox flag gets tripped is because it sees that it is being forced to downgrade which in a sense modifies the security of the device.  This is WHY flashers hated Knox because it would trip and there's no way to hide you are a flasher and retain the warranty.  There's also a rumor that it uses efuse on top of current security.

Re: Lollipop 5.0 killed my Galaxy S5!!! Where's the update???
HWBA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, have to try

0 Likes
Re: Lollipop 5.0 killed my Galaxy S5!!! Where's the update???
stef7
Master - Level 2

Thanks, I was thinking it would not change the flag. That's too bad for users.

I also thought there is a newer version of Lollipop, that people who took the OTA before can't take now - only way at this time would be to go back to KK, then take the OTA.

Verizon Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Is Rolling Out (For Real This Time)

Guess I'm wrong on both accounts???

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

stef7 wrote:

Thanks, I was thinking it would not change the flag. That's too bad for users.

I also thought there is a newer version of Lollipop, that people who took the OTA before can't take now - only way at this time would be to go back to KK, then take the OTA.

Verizon Galaxy S5 Lollipop Update Is Rolling Out (For Real This Time)

Guess I'm wrong on both accounts???

It flashes the same version.  You can use Odin to flash the same "newer" version and it would retain Knox and will not trip it due to the same versions and Samsung wouldn't downgrade Knox is any of forward versions or else that's trouble waiting to happen.  I don't think Samsung isn't smart enough to realize this.

Also if there is a problem with the older version(actually the same version) chances are you'd to a warranty exchange and you would retain your warranty.  The problems look to be the installer and if it didn't install correctly you'd see those problems.  The battery drain is tied to the bugs that are fixed in 5.1(not all of it).

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Do you mean, if you use ODIN to go from G900VVRU1BNLC (Feb release), to VRU1BOA4 (recent), that wouldn't trip the flag, but going back to 4.4.4 (from Dec or Sept last year) would trip the flag?

And also, are you saying the bugs aren't really fixed until 5.1, or even that might not fix them all?

This is confusing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes downgrading trips the flag. Upgrading doesn't.  Samsung set it up one way when it comes to warranty.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

5.1 fixed the memory bug which is causing the battery drain for a lot of people.  This was a know issue since the release of lollipop, but the overzealous people wanted the update, and pushed the manufacturers to push out lollipop.  A lot of us wanted to wait for 5.1 to make sure we didn't get that bug and didn't mind waiting.  5.1 introduces another bug, but it isn't as bad the the pre 5.1 and there is already a fix for it internally from Google(they have a fix already).

0 Likes
buzzeswoman2008
Contributor - Level 3

how do i get the 5.1 update?

Tidbits
Legend

Wait for Samsung to develop the update.  It all starts and ends with the manufacturer.

BTBFG79
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits So will the update fix the issues I am having with my phone, including the constant popup stating that "Contacts" has stopped working? It seems like everyone I have talked to at Samsung, Samsung Help Desk at Best Buy, Google, Verizon online or next level support on the phone all are giving me the run around with trying to come up with the answer. And when is this 5.1 update coming out but what other bug is introduced?

0 Likes