Latest Software Update Wakes Screen Up On Incoming SMS
dsmoke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Build G955USQU1AQD9 wakes the screen when using the DEFAULT Samsung Messages app. Rather than displaying the notification on the always on display, it wakes the entire screen every single time wasting battery. I have hard reset the phone after the update, the issue is still there. As a work around, Message+ (Verizon App) does NOT have this issue and does not wake the screen when it is set as default. I prefer the default app and there is no option to have it not wake the screen. I have seen this issue in beta software builds on the older S7 edge which was later fixed with an OTA update. Can we please get this addressed in the next OTA update?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Latest Software Update Wakes Screen Up On Incoming SMS
dsmoke
Enthusiast - Level 3

I applied OTA NRD90M.G955USQU1AQDF today. This appears to have fixed the issue of waking the screen up completely when using the default SMS app. It will pop up a preview on the always on display like the VZ app would. It doesn't show an unread text though on the always on display like the VZ app did. At least the light still blinks so you know and it doesn't wake the entire screen anymore.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’m sorry to learn of the Samsung Messages app issue outlined in your post after the latest software update, dsmoke. Manufacturers create software updates to improve your wireless experience. Lamentably, not all software updates meet our customers’ expectations. Using the Verizon Message+ application is a great alternative to resolve the issue. For feedback regarding the way the phone works after the latest software update, please contact the manufacturer at 888-987-4357, or online at the link below.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/#contact_us_for_support

0 Likes
dsmoke
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have just summited a ticket and have documented the issue here as well as XDA here Screen Wake Incoming SMS Verizon S8+ G955USQ… | Samsung Galaxy S8+  Samsung tends to give generic copy and paste answer like did you reset your phone or clear cache. This is a bug in the software build it would be nice to get this escalated to the proper people to get patched in the next OTA. We will see what Samsung says.

0 Likes
dsmoke
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can someone from Verizon or Samsung please comment on this that they are aware of this system wide and not just phone specific? I mean come on so better communication here would be expected for such an expensive phone.

0 Likes
dsmoke
Enthusiast - Level 3

[Removed] generic answers like use the Verizon messages app or restart your phone are useless. When I went the summit a ticket to Samsung they didn't even have the correct model number for this phone listed when filling out the ticket, I mean come on. An official comment by a higher tier support level just acknowledging this bug or other bugs they are aware of would be nice. I understand things are going to take a little time to get worked out but it's extremely frustrating to get the generic tier 1 copy and paste responses. Samsung can't even update its support site with the correct model number. I had to select other and put the model number in the description. Better communication from a mod or someone higher up to get stiff like this escalated would be more reassuring. Calling into tech support is useless. Support should be stellar for this kind of phone and right now it's an F.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
dsmoke
Enthusiast - Level 3

I applied OTA NRD90M.G955USQU1AQDF today. This appears to have fixed the issue of waking the screen up completely when using the default SMS app. It will pop up a preview on the always on display like the VZ app would. It doesn't show an unread text though on the always on display like the VZ app did. At least the light still blinks so you know and it doesn't wake the entire screen anymore.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dsmoke,

We are certainly excited to see that the OTA does appear to have fixed the issue with the default texting application. We are always happy to help if you are still experiencing device troubles. Let us know.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my  response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my  response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in  advance for your help with this!

0 Likes