Latest Oreo Update Ruined Texting - Help?
MAGGIEMAGGAMUFF
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung S7, Oreo arrived on my phone sometime in mid-July. It worked just fine, no complaints. 2 nights ago I was prompted to do yet another update so I complied, HUGE mistake. Ever since, my phone overheats almost dangerously, certain apps take forever to load or do not load at all, text messages arrive and send in random order and are nearly impossible to locate in the message streams, rendering text useless and photos are unable to be sent / received at all in text. This new update also changed my phone's date to one in the future that doesn't exist: Tuesday, September 5, 2018 and additionally changed my phone's time to 4 hours behind, though it showed "Eastern Daylight Time" as the preference. There was a Tuesday, September 5th last year but this year, September 5th is a Wednesday and this non-existent date showing 2018 is really, really weird and creepy. I did remedy the date and time thing (although it keeps reverting back to this weirdness) but this texting issue is a problem since i use it for business. I can never find my recent text messages in the conversation streams. For example, a text from today I sent arrived in my husband's stream (he has an iPhone) with today's correct time and date stamp on it BUT LOCATED in a chat area from last weekend. Same stuff happening on my end regardless, it's insane. Anyone else have these issues and any way to resolve them?

0 Likes
Re: Latest Oreo Update Ruined Texting - Help?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MAGGIEMAGGAMUFF,

I'm so sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your S7 since the Oreo update. Software updates are meant to enhance your phone's overall function. I know you rely on your phone to work properly and I'll be happy to help fix this for you. It sounds like you have a few items going on and I'd like to address the overheating issue first. We can move on to the other problems after we address this concern. Are you doing a specific function on your S7 when it overheats? Does it overheat to the point where you can't hold the phone anymore? Are you using the original manufacturer's charger when you charge your device?

Juan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MAGGIEMAGGAMUFF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Juan,

Thank you for your response. Per your questions regarding overheating: The overheating occurs during use, particularly with use of certain apps including Skype but does not ever overheat during charging. 

- It does overheat to the point that it is too hot to the touch to hold. And I do use the Samsung charge cord & plug in that came in the phone box to charge it about 80% of the time. Sometimes I use another Samsung cord that came with my husband's phone (identical) about 10% of the time and sometimes I use an aftermarket cord pluged into the USB port of the wall about 10% of the time. 

- It has actually given me an overheating message before and shut itself down. 

- When it does overheat, it drains the battery rapidly. 

- I frequently close all apps because doing so seems to help prevent overheating and when it begins to feel hot, I lay it on a cool surface out of the case after closing all apps. 

Thank you, Maggie 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing this information, MAGGIEMAGGAMUFF. For further clarification, does this battery drain happen even when the device is in standby? If you left your phone sitting on a counter for 45 minutes to an hour, would your battery still drain? If so, how much?

MatthewI_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MAGGIEMAGGAMUFF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,No, only drains when in use. Not on standby.

StricklovesSterlin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine's doing it too.  Texts, recent calls and photo gallery.  No overheating though.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

StricklovesSterlin, A software update is designed to help your phone not cause problems, we're here to help. Which messaging application are you using (Message + or default message)? Tell us more about what happens when using the phone or gallery?

Trinette_VZW

0 Likes
MAGGIEMAGGAMUFF
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's the default. 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

StricklovesSterlin
Enthusiast - Level 2

S7Edge- Using default text app. I deleted 800 texts and it seems to be much better. Boooooooooooooo. Also deleted all recent calls and that seems resolved now too.

Thanks

0 Likes