International capability a big disappointment
rodonnj

Ok, I read the threads.

I spoke with VW before I left for my business trip for Europe.

I was assured that my galaxy SIII would work by simply switching the sim chip.

I wanted to believe VW and not believe the threads.

I put in a Three sim card and.......no data!  phone yes, text yes, but NO DATA

Same reason we all know, VW has disabled the ability to change APN name.

contacted VW from London....their reply was it's not us, it must be Samsung.they couldn't believe it wouldn't work.

So i went to a vodaphone shop and we plugged in every sim card possible all with the same result.  The tech there said it's a shame because it is obviously VW who has disabled or locked this out.   He showed me Galaxy SIII's from other providers and they all worked...

Kind of disappointing that VW either doesn't have anyone smart enough to understand how to enable adding APNs or they are still trying to monopolize.

I would even try and using VW's global services (which do work) if they weren't so ridiculously priced vs using a local sim.  Why would one even consider using VW when you can pick up a Three sim with 2GB, 3000 txts and 600 minutes for 15 pounds?  had i used VW for all of my phone needs in europe it would have been hundreds of dollars vs $25?

I just don't understand.  who else is having this problem?  I've never considered going with another carrier, but I think this just might push me over the edge.  More from the response of VW (It's not OUR problem, it's YOUR problem)

0 Likes
Re: International capability a big disappointment
prbwhite

I have the exact same problem in Australia.  I was told by VW sales reps in store AND by global services before I left the States that I would have full functionality.  Of course, I do not.  I even mentioned using a local sim card and was told it would be fine.

Obviously, this is extremely frustrating.  The only solutions I have found on the internet require voiding my warranty which is not something I want to do.  I am not getting what I paid for and I am not getting what I was promised. 

I am in the same boat as you. Have been a loyal VW customer for many years but this is pushing me to consider other options.  It a huge problem to me having paid for a high-end phone, being promised high-end functionality and not getting it.

0 Likes
Re: International capability a big disappointment
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry to hear that your phone did not work internationally.  We cannot guarantee 3rd party services.  We offer very attactive global rates. You can get 100MB for $25.00.  Check out our rates http://bit.ly/xZd3pS

0 Likes