Incompatible charger for S5
Tydo15
Enthusiast - Level 1

So within the last month or so, my Galaxy S5 has started rejecting chargers. At first it was a Kindle Fire charger. Then it was the original Samsung charger. And now it is an older Verizon USB connection to the computer. It's not all of the time, and it's not always immediate. It may charge for a few percent, but then it will shut off, stating that I'm using an incompatible charger. As mentioned, it's not a specific charger, nor is it just generic or off-brand chargers. It's not gotten wet or experienced major damage or anything. The inconsistency with this is what makes it annoying. I've turned it on and off, taken the battery out, and like I said, it works for a while. Sometimes it fully charges, other times it doesn't. What's going on?

Re: Incompatible charger for S5
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Let's get to the bottom of your equipment concerns Tydo15. Did you recently install or download anything new to your phone when you started getting this message? Do you get this error message when certain applications are running?

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
Tydo15
Enthusiast - Level 1

As far as I know nothing new was installed. I don't know about updates, since those are automatic. The error message does not appear when certain applications are running. I usually clear everything out of my task manager after I am done using it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thanks for getting back to us Tydo15. This will help us get to the bottom of your equipment concerns. Is there any physical or water damage to the phone? Any corrosion in the charging port? Have you tried running your phone on safe mode and test original charger? To learn how to run your phone on safe mode click, http://vz.to/1Fa63p0

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

usb charging is worthless.

if you're not using the double connector charger packed with the s5, it's probably why you're having charging problems.

B33
Legend

I'll agree Bear..  we've been telling this to ones for Quite a while I know I have using the Box charger is always the Best and safest way to charge a phone..

hrich260
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has recently happened to me as well, right after my phone allowed the update.  There is a similar thread of this happening to customers with the S4 shortly after the last update in 2014.  Seems to be a common theme.  Many commented that it can be remedied by replacing the usb charging port on your own, if your into that sort of thing.

I have hard reset, soft reset, started in safe mode, tried original chargers, older chargers, car chargers... Might be having some luck with it plugged into the computer right now, but it is only reaching 1% after quite some time.

I love my S5, but this seems to happen with Samsung stuff entirely too often.  And it is rather interesting that it happens to most shortly after a new update?

loeloered
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issues!!! It is so frustrating since I haven't even had this phone (now paperweight) a full year!  I do not have my original charger because it broke and I bought a replacement charger at Verizon and was not told that I should have received a replacement Samsung charger because it was still under warranty.  Now I am stuck with this non working incompatible charger.  I am going to try using a Samsung charger again to see if there is any improvement.

At least I know I am not the only one but still that shows that the equipment is not really quality.  I can't upgrade (for a reduced rate) and if I file insurance claim I will have to pay around $100 for a refurbished phone that is being sold on the site for 50 bucks even though I have paid 8 dollar insurance for nearly a year.  What a [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] of a deal! NOT!

Christa61183
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine has been doing the same thing for the last few days!!!! It is so annoying and I don't understand it!!!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting a full charge is important, Christa61183. Let's get to the bottom of it. Have there been any changes to the device, such as software update or new app added around the time this started? Are you using the original charger, or an after-market one?
LynnE_VZW

0 Likes