How to include email address when forwarding
AlanS4
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I forward an email, I want to keep the email address from original sender so the person I'm forwarding it to get that address.  Right now, the original email address is deleted.  Only the original name remains.

How do I keep the original sender's address in forwarded emails?

Re: How to include email address when forwarding
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

When I "forward" an email, it includes the "original message", including the email of the original sender along with the text of the forwarded message.  This is with the Gmail app, and a regular email account set up on my Android device.  Are you using another email app?  Isn't the sender info included in the forwarded content?

AlanS4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Suzy:  No I'm using Comcast for my email, not Gmail.  Verizon is the carrier.  Only the name of the original email sender is in the email, not their email address.  Any ideas? 

Which company do you use for your regular email account?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

AlanS4 wrote:

When I forward an email, I want to keep the email address from original sender so the person I'm forwarding it to get that address.  Right now, the original email address is deleted.  Only the original name remains.

I've seen the same thing on an S4 using the stock e-mail app and if there's a way to change it, I haven't found it yet.  A work-around is to edit the original message before forwarding it and add the e-mail address back in manually, i.e., once you've pressed the Forward button, scroll down a bit and press the Edit Original Message Information button and you can edit the original message however you like before forwarding it.

0 Likes
AlanS4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the idea.  I tried it and it works.   I copied and pasted the email address.  Is there another app that would leave the email address alone?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's probably some in the Play Store that do leave the e-mail address intact, but I haven't checked.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

AlanS4 wrote:

Which company do you use for your regular email account?

I have several email accounts set up on my phone - I've used a Blackberry, a Motorola Droid 4, and have access to an HTC One with similar email set up - all include the text of the forwarded message, and the header information which includes the original senders' email address when I forward a message. 

- Apparently the default on the S4, if it even is an option (and it should be, IMO) is not to show the email address, since yo see the same thing - I don't see a setting where I can change it to NOT show for me.  Strange - wonder what other phones do, since the ones I've had seem to forward the email address (not just the name) as well as the message.

Oh, and to answer your question - in addition to Gmail, I have email set up with a few different domain names (part of the hosting packages) for my business and volunteer work.  I'm able to get them all working on my phone using a manual setup and haven't had any real issues with my email at all.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

All of the forwarded e-mail message, including headers, shows up except for the actual e-mail address.  As stated earlier, I have yet to find a way to stop it from deleting it ... I have yet to find a setting to make it show.  Makes me think it's a 'Samsung thing'.

I also have multiple e-mail accounts on my phone and access all of them with the stock e-mail app.  Some on the forum report having issues with that app and use the standalone versions from the Play Store; I've never had issues with the stock e-mail app on the phones I've used.

0 Likes
CMayell
Enthusiast - Level 1

Found a potential "workaround" on this issue w/ my Samsung S4.  Once I choose to forward the message and enter the recipients name, you will notice an option below to "Edit Original Message."  Choose that option (no need to edit) and it will include the original e-mail w/ the forwarded message. Hope that helps!

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are seeing the original message's actual e-mail address in the forwarded e-mail?  The reason I ask is that the issue is when you forward the message, the e-mail address of the original message drops off.  In other words, you forward a message from 'abc' with the address abc@xyz.com.  In the forwarded message, all you see in the original message is 'abc' ... the actual address doesn't carry forward.  This also occurs with the KitKat update, btw.

0 Likes