Re: How reliable is Verizon in sending out security updates.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheS1R, 

It sounds like you are also on top of the updates. The last software update was release on 3/1/2018. Which version do you currently have? It should be R16NW.G965USQU1ARBG

I was able to check our S9+ update and the last Android security patch update was 2/1/2018. 

http://spr.ly/6581DZpYL

I find this link to be very helpful. Does this help to clarify your concern? 

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

You are missing the point completely. Users cannot install patches from Google or Samsung that are not made available by VZW. Samsung has released two updates since the "latest" that you quote -- unfortunately, this "latest" only includes security updates as of 1 February 2018 (the 1 March 2018 and 1 April 2018 updates are not included!).

teeshot
Contributor - Level 1

See, here's the thing.  I know what a "bug" is. I know what a "security update" is. etc. etc.  You continue to say that Verizon releases regularly.  HOWEVER, a number of messages in this thread give information as to the actual security updates released by Samsung.  There have been at least 3 this year.  The latest was April 1st.  Verizon's latest update to it's customers was on March 10th, BUT it was the February 1st update.  So Verizon is now at least 2 security updates behind.  I would suggest that someone that has actual knowledge of the technical side of this issue furnish further answers that match reality, instead of answers that are nothing more than "public relations" answers.

SAKLR1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, just wow. This comment is a complete insult to your customers intelligence. You don't release them right away. If you did it wouldn't be April and I wouldn't still be on the Feb1 patch. I contacted Samsung who ensured me carriers are sent updated immediately upon release. Its then up to the carriers to push (and probably ensure they bloatware is added)

Biggest mistake ever letting an in store rep lie to me about Verizon and Android. That's my mistake but I'm in the process of fixing that by switching to TMobile.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered your choice of phone could be a mistake? I have the April security updates on my phone and I have it because I chose to purchase a Pixel phone instead of a Samsung or LG phone model.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
teeshot
Contributor - Level 1

Off topic.  If I had  wanted a recommendation for a particular phone for a particular reason, that's what I would have asked.  I didn't.  I know what I wanted to ask and that's what I asked.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You already had your answer. Samsung doesn't provide regular security updates on a reliable basis. You then stated you made a mistake and I provided another way to correct that mistake without you switching carriers. You will have the same issue with Samsung phones at another carrier.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SAKLR1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes they do. It's Verizon not pushing them. And yes, I did buy the wrong phone because I was lied to by the in store rep who I asked very specifically about how often Verizon pushes the updates. I was told they get them the same day as pixels. That's what I'm upset about. And by the way, I visited a TMobile store yesterday and guess what. The S9's were all on the April patch.

0 Likes
teeshot
Contributor - Level 1

I never said anywhere that I made a mistake.(Show me where I said that?)

I never asked for any suggestion for an alternate phone or carrier. (Show me where I asked either?)

Samsung DOES provide regular monthly security updates to Verizon. (Per Samsung support both on the phone and online.)

Verizon does NOT furnish those updates on a timely basis to its customers. (Compare Samsung's patch release dates to Verizon's)

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon Certified Open Market Android Smartphones

Mobile Offers

You could buy the carrier independent version of the S9(SM-G960U1) or S9+(SM-G965U1) direct from Samsung.  Then your updates would come directly from Samsung without carrier vetting.  Plus if you decide to switch carriers you wouldn't have to buy a new phone.

0 Likes