Re: How do we get Samsung Smart Call?
cmtmcelroy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone found a cure? I'm thinking of going back too the unlocked firmware, but hate to lose Wi-Fi calling.

mama23dogs
Legend

Please READ about Hiya, which is Samsung smart call.  Yes Verizon makes you pay for their version.  You can add it FREE

Hiya: Caller ID, Call Blocker & Protection for a Better Phone Experience

Ive  been using it for months.  It works great on Spam, telemarketing, fraud and robo calls.  It alerts on about half of spoofed calls.

keep in mind spoofed calls are valid numbers and may belong to an innocent user, but has been temporarily “spoofed” by a computer.   If a number is “spoofed” and not in use, it will usually show up as “screened” and Hiya will give you the option to block the call in the future. 

Between hiya and Call protect (by Hiya) I almost never get invalid calls anymore On either phone.

KCostilla

Ugh <<removed>> you Verizon. Disabling apps without my knowledge or consent just so you can try and sell me your <<removed>> was services. This is the last time I will ever get a phone with your services. <<removed>> you all and I hope you all get <<removed>>cancer in the brain.

<< Content  removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
nycpigeon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has no one found a solution yet? I really wish Verizon would address this issue. Especially because they don't have much else going for them right now.

I really hope that they catch on and realize that people like CHOICES in this day and age. I'm all for Verizon offering their paid service..as long as we have the choice to also choose the SAMSUNG smart call on our SAMSUNG smart phones.. The nerve...

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

nycpigeon

verizon did, at $3 a line you can use the subscription service. 

However, you can use it free if you use Hiya.  Hiya is the developer of Samsung Smartcall and ATT Call Protect, etc.  check the link.  Hiya: Caller ID, Call Blocker & Protection for a Better Phone Experience

B044F6EE-0A5C-4EEB-8E61-E4D0B5F5F59D.png

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nycpigeon,

We always want for you to be able to detect & filter out unwanted calls. I'm sorry that we don't offer a free version of what you are looking for. Our community members have provided a good option for a 3rd party app to try. That may have the features you are looking for. Additionally, we suggest that you sign up for the National Do Not Call Registry: http://bit.ly/2q0hgty I hope this information is beneficial.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nycpigeon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am quite thankful for those 3rd party app suggestions.. but I guess I'm more curious as to why Verizon won't just let me use a feature SAMSUNG provides for the SAMSUNG phone that I purchased..

nycpigeon
Enthusiast - Level 2

By Verizon addressing "this issue," I meant enabling Smart Call, which is a Samsung feature, not a 3rd party app. Verizon's Caller ID $3 subscription availability is irrelevant to "this issue," being Samsung's Smart Call feature being enabled. I just don't think it makes sense that I would be able to download a 3rd party app to do something but can't download or enable a feature that is already supposed to come with my phone, made by the company that manufactured my phone; in this case, the S9 and Smart Call.

mama23dogs
Legend

ATT allowed the feature for free. 

Both ATT and Verizon are stopping spam, fraud and robo at the network level, which Samsung smartcall cannot do.  Again Hiya is smartcall.  Have you tried it?

nycpigeon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand that. I haven't tried Hiya yet but am planning to get it. Again, thanks for that suggestion. Smiley Happy

But, again, stating the fact that this is irrelevant to the subject of the post which is the fact that Verizon is intentionally blocking something that comes standard with the manufacturing of the phone and I am curious as to1. Why they do that (besides to promote their subscription service because they still allow 3rd party apps)and2. Why they don't provide an option to activate smart call. Regardless of whether people will use it or not - by principle.