How Can I Connect To My PC via USB?
NORMAN57
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have tried unsuccessfully to view and transfer files on my Samsung Galaxy S5, by connecting to both my laptop and home desktop computers; both computers are running Windows10. After connecting to computer USB port, the device appears in Windows Explorer (file manager) as connected to the PC; however, none of the phone's contents are visible or accessible.

Also performed quick troubleshooting in Developer mode to debug USB, but learned nothing new.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the Marshmallow update, the default USB mode is charge only.  Pull down the notification shade, tap where it says USB Charging, and change it to File Transfer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the Marshmallow update, the default USB mode is charge only.  Pull down the notification shade, tap where it says USB Charging, and change it to File Transfer.

0 Likes
NORMAN57
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great I will give that a try; but to clarify, is it not possible to be simultaneously charging (on such as USB port) and managing/transferring files? 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not unless you change the USB mode as noted earlier.  Every time you connect the phone and computer via USB it will only charge the phone.  Once you change the USB mode to File Transfer, you'll be able to transfer files while the phone is charging.

0 Likes
NORMAN57
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wonderful, thank you!

NORMAN [Removed]

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 2:47 PM, tikibar1 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.

0 Likes