Having problems with phone getting too hot when not in use
Micheliu813

Hi there -- I'm trying to figure out what I can do to fix this.  Recently I had to get a replacement S3 because my original shut off mid-use and wouldn't turn back on.  The replacement has been here for about a month and in the last 2 weeks I'm having issues with it getting too hot.  The first time it happened, I had it plugged into the stock charger for about 1 1/2 hours - and I had picked it up expecting it to be fully charged but it was extremely hot and had a warning on the main screen saying that the battery was critically hot and was not charging and the phone was nearly completely dead.  I unplugged it, took the battery out and let the main phone body cool down.  After about 15 minutes, the body felt like room temperature again, so I put it all back together.  It turned on, charged normally that night and all was well. 

Now for the last several days, I'm having issues again with it getting hot at random times when I'm not even using it (and not charging it).  The last time, I downloaded a temperature app and it said the phone was nearly 105 degrees, and it felt the hottest right at the home button.  Later that night after it cooled down, I noticed that the battery wasn't charging at all and was depleting rapidly on the charger.  I restarted twice with no change and then took the battery out and let it sit for several minutes.  After that it began charging again. 

With it getting hot so much more often now, I'm starting to worry about this happening when I need my phone for an emergency as I spend a lot of time on the road transporting my kids to school and activities.  Is there a fix for this?  It doesn't appear to be the battery because my husband and I have the same phone and I've already swapped batteries with him - same issue for me, no issue for him.  Please help?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Having problems with phone getting too hot when not in use
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Micheliu813, let's get to the bottom of this together! Are you using the same charger that came with the phone or a 3rd party charger? We can also test the phone in safe mode to see if the device heats up again. Check here for steps: http://vz.to/1kb9LUM

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes