Google Maps looses GPS signal when screen locked for Android Pie
gartmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

How to I blank my screen to save battery power while Google maps is running and NOT have it drop the GPS signal(and thus exit navigation/maps)? This worked fine in all previous Android versions. I was in the "optimized" battery option by default. I tried "medium with "restrict background apps from using WIFI and Mobile data" turned off. Both options still kill the GPS signal connection when the screen is turned off (& thus the phone is locked).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Maps looses GPS signal when screen locked for Android Pie
gartmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I figured it out though it's not the most straight forward, to get to the menu or the option to uncheck itself. I REALLY don't like this new release as it has hidden, hard to find, non-intuitive, menu's and options. Plus they changed a LOT of default options so things look/work quite different then they always have in the past. At any rate, the solution is:

==> settings -> device care -> battery, at bottom left -> Maps(google) -> Unclick "Put app to sleep"(when not in use) at bottom of the screen.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which phone model do you have? I have Android Pie OS version on my phone and I don't have an issue with the GPS dropping. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
gartmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Samsung S9+. I had two Android Pie updates. The latest is (G965U)SQS3CSAG, SQU3CSAB before that.

0 Likes
gartmann
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I figured it out though it's not the most straight forward, to get to the menu or the option to uncheck itself. I REALLY don't like this new release as it has hidden, hard to find, non-intuitive, menu's and options. Plus they changed a LOT of default options so things look/work quite different then they always have in the past. At any rate, the solution is:

==> settings -> device care -> battery, at bottom left -> Maps(google) -> Unclick "Put app to sleep"(when not in use) at bottom of the screen.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to learn you are not exactly pleased with the software update. They are intended to improve service but at times it also causes inconvenience. Hang in there as they get feedback they often create updates.

DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
ValerieH

My phone doesn't have Device Care, it has Device Maintenance and when I click on Battery in that option, Maps is not one of the apps displayed in the list, even when it is loaded in memory.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ValarieH, We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this same issue. We're here to help. Can you please provide which Galaxy model you have? 

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes