Galaxy S9+ - Still on 2/1 Security Patch Level
maxwellnj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I’ve got an S9+ which is still on the 2/1 security patch level and software version SQU1ARBG.  The device support page on the Verizon website shows two more recent patches/releases - 5/1, released on 6/5 and 6/1, released today.  My phone is set to automatically get updates, and when I go into settings and look for available updates, it tells me my phone is on the current version.  I called tech support and they told me that Verizon rolls the updates out in waves.

It’s been 10 days since the 5/1 patch was released.  How is it that Apple can release iOS updates immediately to hundreds of millions of users but Verizon can’t distribute a software update to all users of only one specific phone in 10 days???

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S9+ - Still on 2/1 Security Patch Level
bearone21
Legend

difference between apples vs droids.....apple doesn't even do monthly updates!!!

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I just got an update on my S7 edge to Oreo and my security patch is for april 1. You would think after this update it would have a new patch in it. Unless the new patch causes new problems. It is strange that you have not gotten it yet. Have you tried smart switch or even Verizon's software update program? Either one of these programs can update your phone if there is a update out there.

Samsung Smart Switch

Software Update - Software Upgrade Assistant (Samsung) | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
maxwellnj
Enthusiast - Level 3

True, but what good is a monthly update if Verizon can't get it to me?  I've had both Androids and iPhones over the past ten years, and went to the S9+ from an iPhone X because the "sameness" of iOS and the lack of customization options bored me.  One thing I have to credit Apple on is their ability to get out updates to many hundreds of millions of devices instantaneously.  I've been able to update iOS and Mac devices I've owned on the date an update was released each and every time an update was released.

Forget the fact that half of all Android devices run versions of Android that are over 2 or 3 years old.  Talking strictly about monthly security updates, I find it hard to believe that Verizon can't get security updates to all of its S9/S9+ users - and there can't be more than 5 million or so of them - within 10 days of releasing the update when Apple can instantly push out updates to a user base that's exponentially larger.