Galaxy S6 Sudden Battery Drain
SHORST41

Started having trouble with my Galaxy S6 out of the blue last week.  No new apps or anything installed but suddenly my battery was losing/using a full charge in an average of 4 hours, whether I was using the phone or not. (This was running in Power Saver mode, screen dimmed to almost unreadable, location services off, wi-fi calling turned off, auto-sync off.) Battery stats showed main power consumption by Android OS and Android System, usually 20-30% of battery consumption each.

About 2 days later, a software update became available, which I updated.  After updating the software to G920VVRS4CPI2, wiping cache partition and running in safe mode and power saver, I was able to increase my average battery life to about 6 hours, still not practical.  Next I deleted nearly all my apps and installed Nova Launcher to replace TouchWiz and gained a tiny bit more.

I’ve now spent hours over the past week searching for explanations and fixes to this problem and still I can’t make it through a day without at least 1 recharge. (Charging while powered on makes the phone really hot, but if I charge while powered off or in airplane mode it is fine, not sure if that is relevant.) Phone is less than a year old. Am I looking at a lemon battery or a software issue?  Help please!

Screenshot_20160927-160940.png

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S6 Sudden Battery Drain
pateld1179

ITs due to a Oculus update problem. Uninstall oculus and it will be fixed. I had the same issue and uninstalling all Oculus apps fixed the issue.

PSA: Today's update to the Oculus VR app on Samsung phones is causing heavy battery drain

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Getting the most out of your battery life is definitely important shorst41, so I understand your concern. I know how inconvenient it can be to keep having to charge your phone.

It is common that after a major software update the battery life is affected due to 3rd party apps not functioning properly with the new software. Downloaded applications may not be optimized for the new OS version and even though they may technically work, they may cause higher than normal battery drain until the application developers correct whatever issues arise.

Have you checked to see if there are any pending updates for your apps? Lets test the phone in Safe Mode http://vz.to/2dPoPOH to see if you notice an improvement in battery life. Keep us posted.

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Gazeppi3

I'm having the same trouble. My battery will drop to zero. Is it all from a 3rd party app?Screenshot_20161002-215346.png

0 Likes