Re: Galaxy S6 Edge screen rotation issue
bholt6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ya, apologies...that's what I meant.  Also, I'm OC3 as well.

0 Likes
Android17
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received my S6 Edge last Fri and the auto-rotation worked fine until yesterday. I noticed YouTube videos wouldn't change to landscape without manually hitting the full screen button. The camera also doesn't rotate. I tested the accelerometer and the x coordinate is stuck on -39.227. I have a feeling this is a software bug.

0 Likes
Johna59
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called Verizon Monday, they said they hadn't heard of this issue and then they transferred me to Samsung. Samsung also said they hadn't heard of the issue (at first), then backtracked and said they were aware of the issue. Samsung gave me a ticket number and said they would get back to me when they figured out a solution but they had no idea when that would be. I called my local Verizon store and asked if I could exchange the phone, they said yes but unfortunately no one in the state had the phone in stock. I ended up going into the store where I got a full refund and was told to just call back periodically to see if they have gotten any new shipments in.

TusharS

So last evening I got a call from store that they have received shipment and I got my device replaced. I verified the screen rotation at the store and it was working fine. I came back and started installing all my favorite apps from play store and restoring my data.  After couple of hours, when I checked the same issue came up. So now my replaced device also has the same screen rotation issue.

I hurried up to the store and heard what I expected - that they have no more devices. Apparently all the new stock was sold out within 2 hours on a weekday.

Then I raised the issue with Samsung tech support, they tried lot of troubleshooting and finally made me hard reset the phone. But it didn't work. So their suggestion either to ask for replacement or ship them the device so that the technicians would look into it. I enquired whether Samsung is aware of this issue and is there a patch around the corner. The answer was negative.

So I am seriously thinking of cancelling the phone and asking for a full refund. What's the guarantee the 3rd device would not have the same issue. That too, no one knows when would I get it.

Am I allowed to cancel the device and ask for a full refund?

0 Likes
cruisencode
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I did the "update and initialize" (I think that's what they call it in the Smart Switch application) last night.  It didn't help.  To make things worse, the restore didn't quite restore everything back to where it was when I backed up.

We really need a fix for this soon.  I'm going on a cruise, leaving tomorrow, and if it's not fixed when I get back I'll be asking for a replacement.

As a point of reference, I bought mine at Best Buy on Friday, 4/10.  My wife bought the same phone on  Saturday, 4/11, from the same Best Buy and she doesn't have the issue.  So I have no idea what's causing this.

0 Likes
AndroidMW

Same issue.  Bought the S6 Edge on 4/11 and it all went bad 4/14.  No way to fix it.

0 Likes
Pro3d
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realize this won't put you at ease until you experience it... but my 3rd phone has been rotating well now for 48 hours... and I wouldn't have gotten this far if the phone wasn't flat out amazing. Reminds me of how many Xbox 360s I owned.

I waited until day number two before I installed any updates and my stuff though, just in case the order of the updates is creating the problem.

So over the course of Tuesday, as I got my 3rd new phone the day prior, I slowly installed things... one by one. Then I'd power off the phone, restart, see if any other updates were trying to come down from Samsung/Verizon. Once everything was installed and no updates were left, my phone is now rotating as it should. So friggin weird!

A Verizon Clerk even said, "what's to say the 3rd phone won't do the same thing" ... and I just told her, don't worry, I won't take any more of your stock, I'll go through Samsung if this one breaks.

0 Likes
bholt6
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's promising news.  My first S6 Edge stopped working shortly after 48 hours of use, though (pre-ordered on the 1st and got it around noon on the 10th.  It stopped working on Sunday evening about 8pm).  The second one comes tomorrow.  I've got my fingers crossed it doesn't have the issue.  I might have to try your route of slowly adding apps, etc (despite the fact I shouldn't have to...ya know).  If this one is borked, I was told I shouldn't have any issues just returning it and switching to the regular S6 as they don't have this issue...yet. 

0 Likes
mar51
Enthusiast - Level 3

First day mine wouldn't rotate and the camera settings where upside down.  There are too many people with the same problem to think just swapping it out will correct it.  I am worried that I will get another with same troubles.  Also I think it BS that you have to pay a restocking fee when you swap out a phone online that in my eyes has a defect.

0 Likes
bholt6
Enthusiast - Level 3

You definitely shouldn't be paying a restocking fee. 

0 Likes