Re: Galaxy S5 runs hot
cheybug5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried all the things anyone has listed here!!!! This all seems to come around Wi-Fi and camera app.  Which if we turn off the Wi-Fi it goes against data usage. I find this very unfair to us that pay for data because these phones can't are overheating due to Wi-Fi.  This is not our fault it stems from update....I think Verizon should step up and cover data costs until they get this fixed. We pay a good price for our phones and service to not have a usable phone with it over heating!  I am getting very frustrated over this whole thing!!!!! ggggggrrrrr

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

cheybug5.

Have you tried to determine if it's WiFi or other data consumption. In Settings | Mobile networks on my phone, I can call up the menu, then choose "Show WiFi". Then exit settings, go back in and see for either the Cellular Radio or the WiFi, what is doing the most communicating. Are you for example, backing up to some Cloud? Is there another app that is doing a lot of synching?

I would first attempt to determine what programs or program is using the majority of the radio bandwidth. Maybe that's the problem.

Then I would perform another round of the following in this order:

1). Disabling NW Switch and any advanced setting associated with the phone looking for a stronger WiFi signal.

2). Disabling the Camera App (don't know where this one came from).

3). Performing a low-level Cache Clear

4). Yes, performing ANOTHER FDR

0 Likes
cheybug5
Enthusiast - Level 2

The NW switch is off. I have did 3 FDR, turned the camera off. I have transferred everything that I possibly can to SD card. The ONLY thing that I can see that causes it to over heat is Wi-F,  if I turn it off and use only data the phone doesn't overheat. Which causes me to use data. I have WifI at home and work and like that because it is faster then data Do to poor service area.  So basically I am counting the time before this issue gets fixed (or I can upgrade) and will get stuck paying for extra data because of this issue. I have owned the s3, s4 and loved the phones and Did not bat an eye at getting the new s5.....now I am totally regretting it. I will not recommend this to anyone. Look forward to more ideas.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

OK, so IF WiFi is shutoff, then you have to determine why WiFi on is causing the phone to overheat.

Did you look to see if there was an Advanced WiFi option to see if there's one for Wi-Fi signal weak, disconnect WiFi automatically when signal is weak? If that exists turn it off.

Also, did you explicitly turn on WiFi in Settings | Moble Data (then press menu and Show WiFi) so that you can see what programs are using your WiFi bandwidth? You only need one that you aren't expecting to wreak havoc.

0 Likes