Re: Galaxy S5 runs hot
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cuisencode,

Sorry to see the trouble you have had with battery life and the previous suggested fixes did not do the trick. Let's see if we can get that working for you! When did the trouble start? Was this just after the OS update? If so, when was the update completed? Specifically how long is the charge lasting from full charge?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cruisencode
Enthusiast - Level 3

The trouble started right after I applied the lollipop update, just like everyone else here.  I updated on 2/3, in the evening.  I used to be able to unplug my phone in the morning, go to work, and plug it in before bed.  I would still have between 30% and 50% when I plugged it in.  Today, I was down to 30% by 1:30pm.  No change is usage.  If anything, I'm using it less because of the issue.

Janet_Johnston
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same problem . Runs hot and battery dies very fast.  It can't make the day. Only thing that changed was I updated it to lollipop.  I have since wiped back to factory. This fixed the lag that started with the upgrade but not the battery  life.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

What happens if you turn your WiFi off? Just turn it off. Does the phone still get hot? Does the battery drain fast?

After you do that experiment, then look to see if it's scanning for stonger WiFi access points.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cruisencode

Thank you for sharing the details! After a OS upgrade, ceratin parts of the memory system may be optimized. The application memory areas may have to be optimized. This can take time and cause the device to temporarily use more battery while the optimization is in progress. This should normalize within 2-3 days. Downloaded applications may not be optimized for the new OS version which may result in higher than normal battery drain until the application itself is updated or removed.

I do recommend checking the battery usage for which application is using the most battery. http://vz.to/1BZ8FVI You can check these applications for updates or remove them and re-test your battery usage.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jegesq
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I first updated to 5.0, mine ran hot and for a few days the battery usage was unstable.  I fixed it by doing the following:

1.  Cleared cache (as described elsewhere);

2.  DELETE FACEBOOK MESSENGER   (it's the "Messenger" app with the blue logo with a white lightning bolt).  It's going to suck your battery dry when using Lollipop.  This was the single best thing that I did. And it worked.  Battery went from 2-5% every few minutes to stable.  I now can easily get more than 1 day on a full charge, with several hours of almost constant screen usage.

3.  Delete any apps you haven't used in a while.  Lollipop needs to update all of your apps to the new SDK (ART) and this is, in itself, going to cause your device to run a bit hot at first.   Minimize the stuff that needs to be updated and get rid of apps you haven't used in a while.  You can always download them again later when your devices is back to normal.

4.  Recognize that whatever issues you're having with Lollipop, they are probably temporary.  My S5 is now working better than ever, and battery life is actually better.

1NatsFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK.  I seem to have found a fix, at least for my phone. 

I went to Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced and unchecked the Smart network switch box.

After doing this, my phone is no longer constantly dropping the Wi-Fi connection, and the battery and heat problems appear to be gone.

I hope this helps someone else.

cruisencode
Enthusiast - Level 3

You say it could take 2-3 days.  It's been 6 DAYS!  Also, I checked what's using the battery.  It's the Android OS itself.  Any other ideas?

0 Likes
cruisencode
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already tried all of these.  6 days and still running like crap!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Was a FDR one of those things tried?