Re: Galaxy S5 runs hot
Ryan_S_86
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed with this guy the rush launch of Lollipop has put a sour taste in my mouth. The phone sucks now. sluggish constantly in cool down mode, signal stregth degraded, glinching in basic phone calling and text messages. Please be warned do not update your phone. And does anyone have the link or insturctions on how to get back to Kit Kat so I can use my phone again?

Ryan_S_86
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone sucks now thanks to the Lollipop update. sluggish constantly in cool down mode, signal stregth degraded, glinching in basic phone calling and text messages. Please be warned do not update your phone. And does anyone have the link or insturctions on how to get back to Kit Kat so I can use my phone again?

stef7
Master - Level 2

Likely no one is going to provide you a means to go back to KK.

If you've determined a low-level cache clear doesn't save the day, I would back up my personal content and do an FDR if I were in your shoes.

Updates don't necessarily work without glitches on everyone's devices. There's too much configuration variance, and the design of the system doesn't make it bulletproof.

Now if you do the FDR and it still acts crazy, well then you might chalk it up to poor regression testing.

BobF4

My S5 has been running hot since the Lollipop update, too.  The ONLY other problem I have is the battery life has gotten atrocious since the update, too.  I have already FDR, disabled apps, and nothing helps on either count. I don't want to turn off Smart Network Switch, since I go from home to work, and don't want to have to reconnect to 4G or Wi-fi every time.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If you've already done an FDR...

Go into WiFi and Advanced Settings and see if your phone continues to hunt for a stronger WiFi access point.

Also, go into Mobile Data, select Menu, and turn on WiFi. In this way you'll be able to see what programs are using either the Cellular or WiFi radios.

1NatsFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've confirmed that if I turn wifi off; the running hot and battery drain issue goes away.  I still need to try the FDR, just haven't had a chance.  I'll update once I've done that.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Go to Settings and Wi- fi then go to the menu and select Advanced. Then Uncheck "Smart Network Switch", your S5 will still switch between Wi-fi and mobile data and not run as hot. This is only a temp fix, until a patch/update is released.

cheybug5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine is unchecked, just checked it. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If you haven't...Backup your content and do the FDR.

cruisencode
Enthusiast - Level 3

My S5 also runs a bit hot and my battery drains very quickly.  I've tried the wipe cache partition "fix" and changing the wifi settings.  Nothing seems to be helping.  Do I really have to spend the better part of the day reinstalling/reconfiguring all of my apps?  That's just ridiculous!  My phone work fine before I "upgraded".