Galaxy S5 runs hot
wendolynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sometimes my Galaxy S5 runs hot, with nothing running in the background. I can resolve this by powering off then on again. Is this normal or do I have a defective phone? It sometimes runs hot while charging as well.

>> Subject edited for brevity <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S5 runs hot
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Your S5 should not run "hot" but warm would be normal as when charging or heavy use of the phone or some apps. I feel you may have some apps and programs running that you are not aware of. Go into settings when the phone is hot and check your app usage and see what apps are running at the time. You can then shut down and may even be able to uninstall some app that is a problem for you. However be very careful has to what you do shut down. Certain apps are needed for normal operation of your phone. If not sure ask questions on the forum. Their will be someone to help you.

GoogleGlass3
Enthusiast - Level 3

My older phone was overheating because of a couple apps that were using wi fi to much. I changed the apps settings and had no more problem as Galaxy Class said.

wendolynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not sure how to do that.

0 Likes
bryanbaker87
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mine has been overheating and getting hot ever since the update to 5.0. It also has been draining my battery and very slow now.

1NatsFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same issue with my S5 running hot and chewing through the battery.  It is also constantly reconnecting to the wifi.  I never had any of these problem prior to the update to Android 5.0.  I have restarted the phone, but the problem persists.

Is there a way to go back to 4.4.4?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

No worries! We are here to help you complete this task, wendolynn.
This shows how to stop running apps http://vz.to/16yUifP. Let us know how this works for you.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

1NatsFan,

Updates are supposed to improve your phone and we're sorry to hear this hasn't been the case so far. There is not a way to revert back to a previous software version, but we're confident we can help get things cooled down and running smoothly for you. Lets try a few things.

First, please go ahead and clear the RAM by pressing the multi-window soft key, then press "Close All." Please also try wiping the cache partition by following these steps:

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
2. Press and hold the Volume Up button (located on the left edge near the top) and the Home button (located at the bottom in the middle).
3. While continuing to hold the Home and Volume Up buttons, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until "RECOVERY BOOTING" appears in the upper left then release all buttons.
4. Select wipe cache partition
5. Select reboot system now.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
1NatsFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply Sarah.  I performed the tasks that you outline, but the WiFi is still constantly dropping and the battery is dropping quickly as well.  Likely related.

0 Likes
Luckyjigar
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem and I've done the "wipe cache partition" also.  I am very hesitant to do a factory restore - I will have to reload lot of settings and things. My phone was sluggish to begin with even after a few factory resets, but after Lollipop 5.0 it's down right unusable. Isn't there any other way?