Galaxy S5 questions
MikeFromMesa

I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy S5 and find I cannot do some things I used to do on my S3. It is probably because I just can't find the proper settings so I thought I would ask.

(1) I cannot find out how to set the alarm tone on the clock app. I can set the alarm but not the tone played. And, under settings, I cannot find any place to set the tone for the alarm. I could do this easily enough on the S3  but cannot see how to do it on the S5.

(2) How can I get rid of the My Magazine app? I don't need nor want it but cannot seem to remove it.

(3) Is there any way to set the page display order? The My Magazine page, displayed with a "=" on the display page, is first and, if I cannot get rid of it, I would want it last. The Home page, with the home icon, is last and I would like to move it earlier but dragging it does not seem to have any affect.

(4) The waterproof cover on the charging port seems pretty flimsy and I worry that it will break off after opening and closing it for charging after about a month or so. Any suggestions? Are there any good cases that will keep it water-proof but allow charging without the likelihood of breaking the cover?

There are more but these are currently the biggest issues for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 questions
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

The alarm tone setting is at the bottom of the screen where you set the alarm time.  If you drag up, you can also set volume, snooze settings, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi MikeFromMesa,

Congrats on the new device! I can certainly understand needing to locate the same features that you used on your previous device. We have an awesome device support application that will help locate and setup most of your device features http://bit.ly/yN1P80 . We also offer free wireless workshops to assist with a hands on tutorial to show your how to use the features on your new device http://bit.ly/oc2kd5 .

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i removed both magazine & amazon by long pushing & dragging up to trash.

you lose 1/2 of the home screen so my home screen is to the right with all the apps i want/need & wherever i am, pushing the home button takes me back to what i use as my home screen.

just be careful with the charging port cover.

the moment i got the s5 i put it in an otterbox defender case where the cover is still accessible.

0 Likes
MikeFromMesa

PamelaF_VZW:

I did look at your web site before posting the question. Unfortunately nothing I found really told me how to set the alarm sound for the clock, remove the My Magazine page from the cell phone, change the display order, or any of my other questions.

It is a very nice phone and much faster than my S3, but Android seems to have changed the way some of their apps work. Progress, progress, progress ....

0 Likes
MikeFromMesa

bearone21

> i removed both magazine & amazon by long pushing & dragging up to trash.

I tried that on MyMagazine before I posted but the trash never showed up and that was why I posted that question. I tried again and, again, the trash never showed up on that screen so I have not been able to remove it. I was, however, able to remove the Amazon stuff that way. Thanks for reminding me about that functionality.

> just be careful with the charging port cover.

My wife wanted to get me a Mophie case for the phone but I don't believe Mophie makes one because the phone is supposed to be water-proof. Every time I open the charging port it looks so flimsy that I am sure it will break soon and just don't know how to safely open and close it regularly for charging. It is my biggest concern with the phone.

Thanks for the response.

0 Likes
MikeFromMesa

bearone:

Ah. Found the Menu Settings control and was able to tell the phone to stop displaying the MyMagazine page. Was never able to get the trash can to show up for that page but now there is no problem with it.

Still cannot find out how to set the tone for the alarm clock but, with the MyMagazine and Amazon pages gone, there is no need as I can configure the remaining page contents.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

The alarm tone setting is at the bottom of the screen where you set the alarm time.  If you drag up, you can also set volume, snooze settings, etc.

0 Likes
MikeFromMesa

Thank you. I never even saw that.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

0 Likes
seadoowoman
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can set the alarm with the S Voice also

0 Likes