Galaxy S5 issues since Lollipop
cmsfl70
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to start a discussion about issues I have encountered since my Samsung Galaxy S5 was upgraded to Lollipop Ver 5.0

1. Horrible battery life. Seems to do OK if phone is not used but if you start using it battery drops rapidly. I am a moderate user who could make it through a normal day with 50% left. I could not make it the day without charging at least once now.

2. Phone runs hot. Receive "Cooling Down" notification. Never had this issue before. The phone does feel quite warm when this happens.

3. Phone seems to freeze up intermittently for a few seconds. Never had this problem before update.

4. When I select an item such as an email, text, or hangout notification seems I have to do the swipe and select 2 times before it opens the message. Not an issue before the update.

5. Receiving message "Unfortunately contacts has stopped working" This seems to be mostly an annoyance as I have not had issues related to contacts. I have tried the suggested fix of clearing contacts cache which has not worked. Only seems to lessen the frequency of the error.

6. Also noticed some strangeness with Bluetooth connections dropping then re connecting.

I did do a factory wipe shortly after the update because the phone was unusable. It is better but far from where it was under KitKat. The problems above are still happening after the wipe.

I did speak to a Verizon rep and for the first time ever when I called about phone issues they informed me they had the same phone and were experiencing the same issues I was. This was a pleasant change from "We have not had any reported issues like that."

I know we are at the mercy of Google and Samsung for an update but I hope an update that addresses these issues arrives soon.   

Re: Galaxy S5 issues since Lollipop
Evelbodevil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having the dropped call every 4:30seconds. 

0 Likes
Hyenas
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone is now one shade more alive than bricked thanks to this upgrade.  It runs hot, it crawls, it crashes, the battery can't keep up, it is just AWFUL!

gsamsel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why would they release something that would take a great phone and ruin it like this. My phone is nearly unusable as well. Battery life went from 24 hours to 3 hours for me and how I use it.

ME_Elocin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Make sure you are not running any "rogue" apps - i.e. apps that are not certified to run on Lollipop.

If you are running Facebook, make sure you uninstall FB Messenger - Major cause of battery drain AND heating up.

Delete apps  you haven't used in a very long time.

Do a  system Cache wipe.

These things cleared my phone right up.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Be sure to also shut down Camera and Gallery apps and turn off Smart Net Switch. These are all known issues.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

maybe i'm lucky, i don't shutdown camera/gallery or any other apps to improve batt life.

0 Likes
Lancert
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree that this "update" to Lollipop sucks. Battery life is terrible, it's terribly sluggish, apps crash constantly, it runs hot. Loved my S5 until this update.

Anyone know how to downgrade back to Kit Kat?

To the poster that suggests checking for rogue apps, even if there were rogue apps, the S5 ran fine before.

LalaBuy
Enthusiast - Level 2

One shouldn't have to jump through these hoops in order to have a usable phone, js.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

The old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" , glad your working ok bearone21.  G C

0 Likes