Galaxy S4 battery draining after NG6 update
d_a_parker
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Galaxy S4 recently received the NG6 update (update_SCH-I545_NC5_to_NG6).  Ever since the update, the battery is draining substantially faster than it did before, the phone occasionally gets really hot, and the battery usage always shows "Android OS" using more battery than anything else by a pretty large margin.

I generally unplug my phone around 7 a.m. and before the update, it used to have ~30% battery remaining when I plugged it in again around 11 p.m.  Now, I get a low battery warning every night around 8 p.m. because the battery is at 15%.  It's totally dead by 10 p.m. if I don't plug it in.  I didn't change any settings or install anything new, so it's definitely the update that is causing this.

Is anyone else seeing this, and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S4 battery draining after NG6 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's bring your phone back to perform as it did prior to the update d_a_parker! I had similar issues when updated mine and I resolved all post software update issues with a http://vz.to/1b59FYH hard reset, **uncheck at step 4, very important**. Give it a try and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's bring your phone back to perform as it did prior to the update d_a_parker! I had similar issues when updated mine and I resolved all post software update issues with a http://vz.to/1b59FYH hard reset, **uncheck at step 4, very important**. Give it a try and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
hrwthompson

I'm having the same problem. My battery drained whilst i was at work yesterday and i hardly used the phone.

I'm also really annoyed that I cant quickly toggle the gps on/off. I have to go into location settings and mess around in the menus there.

0 Likes
gpeterden
Contributor - Level 2

I found after the update that Verizon Support & Protection was using 45% of the battery before I turned it off. Now the battery life is back to normal. I found this under settings>More>Battery. Even if I rebooted my phone it still showed 45% battery usage.

Gregg

0 Likes
Lucygirl45

I am having the same exact issue. In fact last night I had to shut my phone down because I was worried about it being too hot. My battery is draining about twice as fast as before the update.

I was really hoping that there would be a fix without having to actually do a hard reset.

Support & Protection is using more than 40% of my battery. Will there be issues if I do turn it off as the warning suggests?

0 Likes
bbonz001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having the issue. And it is really starting to wear thin.

I have tried all the steps mentioned. Even as far as a factory reset. Which is pretty poor. From 100% today it's been 4 1/2 hours and the battery is already at 20%.

Something is keeping the phone awake according to the battery stats. It can't any of my apps as I haven't installed anything new since before the update.

Please fix this!  Or give us the option to go back to the previrus version. Clearly with this many complaints already it's something Verizon has done.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand your concern if your phone is becoming too warm to handle, Lucygirl45. It's normal for a phone to get warmer while it's in use or charging. But if it's becoming so hot that you're needing to turn off the phone, I encourage you to bring the phone as well as all your charging accessories to a store http://bit.ly/3SdsA for a hands-on evaluation.

As for the Support & Protection application, try going into your application and checking to see if it's running a scan or has found something it's attempting to repair. You do have the option to turn off the app or uninstall it if necessary if it's not working well with your update.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

napsfan

Yep, my battery has also been draining very fast since this last update.  Very frustrating.

Will try another reboot to see if it helps.

0 Likes
rwhitten81
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got this update this morning, does anyone know the link to release notes for this update so I can see what was in it?  The only thing I noticed changed from this release was the removal of GPS toggle from the notifications.  I would suspect this is why some people have a battery drain.  This toggle is now related to location services not GPS, so now you have to go into your settings to turn off the GPS or High accuracy mode.  I only used GPS when running navigation but now it is on all the time unless I switch it in the settings back to Power saving mode.

napsfan

Update:  The OS restart seems to have made quite a difference.

There must have been some hidden things in the background following the update.  I had done a "close all" on the running apps, but that didn't change anything.  But thankfully, the phone OS restart seems to have had a positive impact.  Seems to be back to normal again.

0 Likes