Galaxy S4 Overheating
SalKhan

My S4 is overheating primarily while using Maps/Navigation while mounted in a cradle in my car.

It will actually notify me with a popup saying "Your device is overheating. X Applications have been forced closed."

[X = Number]

And now recently, it attempted to shut down my device because it was too hot.

Seems to happen more KitKat.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 Overheating
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I always made sure to keep my smartphones out of the direct sunlight and if possible over a cool air vent to keep the temperature of the phone at a safe level.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed the same thing, post KitKat update, on my personal S4. I never had the issue prior to the update.

Now, here's the catch... I also have an S4 for work. That one doesn't overheat. It has significantly fewer apps than my personal phone and the 8.0.0 version of GoogleMaps. My personal S4 has version 7.5.0 of GoogleMaps.

My plan is to update the GoogleMaps version my personal phone and see if it helps.

0 Likes
irishdad49

I have the same issue when running Google maps and gps.  It alerts me it has to cool down.  It happens while plugged in and using this app.  I have had this phone for two months.

0 Likes
TGodess
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having the overheating problem. No help at the store after waiting for over an hour to talk to someone. It overheated today while using navigation. It was NOT in the sunlight, NOT in the dock. I consider this a safety issue because the phone shuts down in the middle of navigation. All of a sudden I had no information while driving in an unfamiliar area! It is unacceptable to me to have to stop and put such an expensive device in front of the A/C so it can work!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating GoogleMaps to 8.0.0 fixed the issue for me. Give it a try!

0 Likes
Ranen

Exactly the same here - with navigation and after KitKat upgrade. Happens on two phones, mine and my wife's.

Google Maps is 8.1.0 and no change.

I also wiped the cache partition, didn't help.

I called VZW support that found nothing on this problem in their support database. Kind of strange, given the number of reports on the same issue.

Looks like the only thing left to try is factory reset.

0 Likes
Mirro

Same problem here. Started after update to KitKat. I wish I never updated. I drive a lot and GPS is a necessity for me. I hope this is fixed soon.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

I use a Garmin plugs right into car charger.  This way I'm not using the phone in the car and doesn't get hot or use data

0 Likes
TommyO2014

Same here - seems to be happening quite often these days...

0 Likes