Galaxy S4 GPS/Location Services not working after NG6 update?
BAS071509
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm so frustrated with this software update.  Ever since it was installed on my phone, any app that uses GPS or any sort of location services doesn't work.  It takes forever for my phone to pick up a GPS signal, if it ever does.  Google Maps is now completely useless.  Other apps where my location is relevant (weather, etc) give me nasty messages that "location services are currently disabled, etc etc" when there's no solid GPS signal (either turned off or not picking up, which is 99% of the time).  I obviously don't leave my GPS on all the time, but prior to the update these apps worked perfectly estimating my location based on my mobile/wi-fi signals, or whatever it is they do when I don't have my GPS on.  Now, apparently that's no longer an option.  I've tried messing with the settings in the apps themselves as well as the phone's location settings to absolutely no avail.  Is this just a scam to make me leave my GPS on all the time (thus incurring data charges) - if that would even help, given that my GPS signal is spotty at best - or am I completely missing something here (which is a significant possibility, haha)?  Anyone else encounter this or have a suggestion for fixing it?

Re: Galaxy S4 GPS/Location Services not working after NG6 update?
Sertony
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. It eventually picks up signal (after 10 minutes on Google maps). Can the phone update be rolled back?

Curlysf

I had the same problems this morning after my phone decided to update itself last night. One of my mapping apps (Waze) told me to change my GPS setting to High Accuracy in order for it to find my location. I of course ignored this comment and went on my way. After not finding a signal when on the open road, I closed the GPS program and decided to investigate my phone. Lo and behold, the app was right. My location services were set to power save instead of high accuracy. Once I changed the setting it worked like a dream.

Go to:

Settings -->More-->Location-->Mode-->High Accuracy

See if this helps!

0 Likes
pstreck1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can't run a full day with GPS on (or as they call it now, High Accuracy) on any phone. 

Need an option to roll back update.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

High accuracy mode is not 100% dependent on GPS. It will use Wi-Fi, mobile data and GPS together to locate. It loves to feed off mobile tower data stream as the towers que the phone on a regular pattern. And you will cause a quicker kill to the battery by running only GPS mode

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I've had this update on my phone for 7 hours now and so far no problems with rebooting or the GPS app.  My app is set to GPS only and works fine with maps as it locates my position almost instantly when turned on.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I run High accuracy every day and get an easy 21-24 hrs. In GPS I can go a full day with moderate app use and be in a weak 3G signal area. Your numbers don't surprise me.  And I also lock my maps in from time to time between cache cleaning. have a good day.

0 Likes