Galaxy S3 stuck on 4.1.1, can't update OTA
TeamSprocket

For some reason my Galaxy S3 is stuck with Android 4.1.1, and not able to update to the latest versions over-the-air. Is there a different way to install the latest Android versions?

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 stuck on 4.1.1, can't update OTA
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you are not able to update your phone TeamSprocket. What happens when you try to go through setting to check for any software updates? Are you having any issues with your phone?

KinquanaH_VZW'
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
TeamSprocket

Attached is a screenshot of the error message I get.

This happens regardless of being on wifi or directly on the cellular network. Has been for about a year since I got the phone.

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Please take it as a hint.  RUN! Do not install Kit Kat on your phone. So glad some of the S3 are smart enough to refuse Kit Kat. I wish my S4 had been so wise.  Kit Kat update bricked my phone.  Check out the other posts.  Kit Kat is running phones.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello TeamSprocket!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to view the screenshot you sent to us. However, I do have some troubleshooting steps you can take to get the update you'r looking for. Please go to applications manager in settings, scroll to ALL, scroll down to System Updates and clear data. Reboot & check for updates again.

Let me know how this goes for you, OK?

Thank you,

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TeamSprocket

Doesn't work. There isn't even an entry for "System Updates" under the

application manager.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying TeamSprocket! Can you please tell me the exact Baseband Version, Build Number, and Software Update Number? You can go to Apps> Settings> About Phone for this.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TeamSprocket

Help is no longer needed, I was able to update using the Samsung Verizon software update application on Windows 7. I wasn't even aware this was an option until last night since I never used the software before (there was no need).

Its probably easier to update via the Windows software than try to fix this particular OTA update issue.

On the bright side, now that the software IS updated (v4.3) the OTA update now seems to be working just fine.

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Hopefully you will be in the 2% that is not having problems with Kit Kat and your phone will continue to make calls and connect to the network and you will be able to send and receive text messages, and your battery will lasts longer than 4 hours unlike so many of us who installed this update thinking it was better. If not, don't say you weren't warned.  You WERE warned.  Heck even your own phone tried to help you.  Once you update you can't go back.

0 Likes
filasb

Can I revive this thread?

Like TeamSprocket, my Galaxy S3 is stuck on version 4.1.1.  (I've been out of the US for the past 2 years)

And like TeamSprocket, when I follow the trouble shooting instructions, I do not find entry for "System Updates" under the application manager.

Baseband Version:  I535VRBLK1

Build Number:  JRO03L.I535VRBLK1

Software Update Number:  ??  If you mean Android version, it is 4.1.1

0 Likes