Emergency alerts and message notification icons
pvdiamon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I prefer not to have the sound from the emergency alerts, particularly at night.  I turned them off.  However in doing that, I can't get message notification badges.  Is there anyway around that? Does do not disturb turn off those alert sounds? I could then use that at night.  The reason is way too many false positives...they go off for reasons that have no effect on me.  I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8.

0 Likes
Re: Emergency alerts and message notification icons
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am a consumer too, and I sincerely understand your desire for emergency alerts notifications to work in a specific way. I checked my resources and I see that emergency alerts are working as designed. If you turn them off, message notification badges are also off and this is normal.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pvdiamon, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble setting your emergency alerts the way that you'd like to. I can certainly provide clarification With these alerts off, you will no longer hear the tone, but also will not receive the notification. You will still hear the tone even with Do Not Disturb on, as these are designated as alerts that are only sent in emergency situations. 

MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

settings/lock screen/notifications....enable what you don't want to doze!!!

pvdiamon
Enthusiast - Level 2

With my S8, I can go to Messages>Settings>Notifications> and turn off notifications at night.  And then back on in the AM to get my badges. What a nuisance. WIth my old S7, I could just turn off the sound for those alerts and I don't think it had any effect on the badges.  So this is a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.  In fact, I could tell the S7 to ONLY alert for EXTREME situations.  And of course Presidential alerts stayed on.  So the S8 is now much less customizable for this issue.