Email Attachment program selector
fsuinnc

I was trying to send an email the other day and attach a document.  I don't think I had done this before on the S4.  When I hit the attachment button in the email program the usual box popped up displaying the usual programs and it was then that I noticed I have no file manager or office software showing up.

My options are "Choose music track, Cymera Gallery (from the Cymera camera app), Drive (google), Gallery, Photos (which I think is Google also), Quickpic (from the Quickpic gellery app), Samsung Link, and Sound Picker.

How are these programs chosen as the ones to display?  Can I change which programs appear and if so how?

thanks

0 Likes
Email Attachment program selector
fsuinnc

So, is this just such a stupid question that no one wants to answer or is it a problems that no one else has encountered?

0 Likes
Re: Email Attachment program selector
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, it's not a stupid question - I don't have the S4, and I can attach a multitude of stuff when I choose to attach (documents, pix, sounds, video....many choices) - so I was waiting for someone with the S4 to help out.

What email program are you using?  A third party app?  Custom email settings?  I have several custom emails, and gmail set up (Android OS, recently updated to KitKat) and as I said, I can attach just about anything...

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if you don't have an s4 what you're able to do may not be applicable to the s4.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's true, but there's a lot of similarities across all Androids.  And you do have lots of options of things to attach on an S4, such as documents, photos, videos, etc.  But I've never seen the options listed in the OP's choices on an S4. 

I don't know of any way to change what options are provided when choosing to attach something to an e-mail using the stock S4 e-mail app.  The choices I usually see on an S4 for attachments (using the stock e-mail or text app) are:  My Files, Images, Take picture, Video, Record video, Audio, Record audio, S Memo, Calendar, Contacts, Location.

As suggested, maybe the OP isn't using the stock e-mail app?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bearone21 wrote:

if you don't have an s4 what you're able to do may not be applicable to the s4.

Exactly why I did not respond initially... but the OP seemed to anxious for a response, so I obliged.

To   - can you save the document to your Google Drive and attach it from there, since the Drive is an option?

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another option for ... if you're in the My Files app and have your list of documents visible, long-press the document you want to send via e-mail and you should get a pop-up box with various choices .. choose Share Via and you'll get a list of choices that should include Email.  Tap it and you should have the document already attached to a draft e-mail that you can then finish and send.

fsuinnc

thanks for the suggestions.  I am usually using AquaMail but sometimes use Yahoo! mail app.  The Yahoo app has it's own selector and I can attach a txt or pdf using that but I often have long delays of the send with that app.  Gmail has options for attaching pics and ataching files but the attach file opens the same program select that Aquamail opens which doesn't include a my files app option. I figured that there was something in the setup or app management to select which programs appear but I can't find it.  it doesn't seem to be based on defaults because I have QuickPic as my default for all things involving pictures but the selection screen includes Quickpic, Gallery, and google pictures.

on a side note, I hate the SG4.  If anything is going to push me to an iphone it is Verizons horrible add ons and this horrible, horrible phone.

0 Likes