Do I need an SD card?
Elkofolks
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a new phone and the SD card from my old phone was damaged.  Do I really need an SD card? I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 says it has 32 gb, I'm thinking that is memory.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: new phone
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the 32 GB refers to the phone's internal memory; however, you'll have less than 32 GB storage available since the OS and preloaded apps take up around 8 GB of that memory.

No, you don't need an SD card to use the phone, but the option is there should you need it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the 32 GB refers to the phone's internal memory; however, you'll have less than 32 GB storage available since the OS and preloaded apps take up around 8 GB of that memory.

No, you don't need an SD card to use the phone, but the option is there should you need it.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Just because it says 32 gb doesn't mean that is what you have either. To see what you really have connect it to your computer and go to my computer and you will see just how much you really have.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Or check via the phone, i.e., Settings > Storage

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

well when I go into settings/storage it says 16 GB but what I actually have is 14.68 GB

(that is on my s5) and on my s7 edge suppose to be 32 GB but is actually 29.73 GB

0 Likes
Elkofolks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you all.  I appreciate all the answers.  I think I'll get one anyway, just so I have more space available.