Disastrous Firmware Upgrade Ruins 4G Reception, Other Issues
Dampier
Enthusiast - Level 2

After this week's firmware upgrade, I think it is time to seriously ask if Verizon actually tests the firmware upgrades they issue for phones or if this company is just winging it, because there is absolutely no excuse for the screw-up that this week's "update" has created:

1. With two identical Samsung S3 phones, one with the firmware update and one without, the phone with the update can barely hold on to a 4G signal, and even as it does, speed tests show ping times in the 1000ms range and an amazing thruput of 10kbps download, 1kbps upload (when the test can even complete). The one without the upgrade shows a ping time of 24ms and 15.5Mbps/11Mbps;
  2. The phone battery on the upgraded unit gets enormously hot and burns through battery life, the one without does not;
  3. When the phone drops back to 3G service, it is incapable of getting 4G service back until a reboot, even when you drive by the cell tower;
  4. Caller ID plus Name bloatware added by Verizon forces the Wi-Fi and 3G/4G wireless radios to both remain on, showing on the status bar. By going into settings, Application Manager, and choosing the "All" applications tab, you can find this little nightmare, select it, and permanently disable it, resolving this particular problem. This won't resolve the problem of the app auto-enrolling you to a paid feature that costs $2.99 a month, as others are reporting, so watch your bill.

Of course, there is no way back to the last firmware version which did not exhibit these problems. So now we are at the mercy of Verizon to push a rollback or fix the problem. Considering how long the GPS problem has been around on this phone, I do not hold out much hope.

My cell bill is over $160 a month for a service I can no longer access and nobody seems willing to do a thing about it. Samsung guarantees as long as the phone works for phone calls, their responsibility ends. Verizon wants to push the problem to Samsung, when it fact it is Verizon's update that created this problem.

This needs a fix, immediately.

0 Likes
Re: Disastrous Firmware Upgrade Ruins 4G Reception, Other Issues
bonem83

I had the same issue, but went in and got a fix for it.  I first did a factory reset based on tech support suggestion, which helped out with some battery issues, but not the data/cell connection.  I went into the Verizon store and the employee suggested replacing the SIM card.  He put a fresh SIM card in, reactivated the phone and now I'm pushing the 4G speeds I was before the firmware update that hosed my connection in the first place.

I hope that helps you and anyone else suffering this issue.  It was a quick and free fix.  So far my data hasn't dropped and the download speeds are back to normal.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Its Samsungs OS update. Verizon does not push out a fix until Samsung sends them one.

Try the other posters suggestion of a new sim card.

Good Luck

0 Likes
telveer
Contributor - Level 1

For me, the biggest problem is mobile network reception. My mobile network became "completely" unusable after this.upgrade. I did a full factory reset and that did not fix the issue either. I will try changing the SIM card. Do you have to spend a lot of time with the reps to get a new SIM? Or is it a simple walkin procedure?

0 Likes
llamee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I posted this possible solution in another thread on here.  Go into Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network mode.  Change it from Global to LTE/CDMA.  Then back out and go to Access Point Names.  There should be a green circle next to LTE - Verizon Internet.  If not, press the circle on the right which should turn it green.  Back out and restart the phone. So far, this has resolved my problem since the update. Hopefully it helps.

0 Likes
LarryBrad
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI, I had the VZW Store replace my SIM card but it did not help the problem.  It appears that if I have 3 or 4 signal bars, my 4G LTE works fine.  Two or fewer, it does not work at all.  My wife's GS3 was not updated and her phone works just like it always did on 2 bars at our home location.  The MOBILE NETWORKS > ACCESS POINT NAMES > "LTE - Verizon Internet" was not selected after the update.  The VZW Store turned it on (doesn't help) but even so, something keeps turning it back off.  I think if the phone is rebooted, this happens.  Thanks #DAMPIER for the tip on the CALLER ID Plus thing; hope it works for the duration.  I cancelled the trial period (I hope) for the CALLER ID Plus bloatware scam but I kept getting a notification that I have a trial period underway.  It is hard to believe that a large reputable company like Verizon would engage in such small-ball, schemes usually found in PC Trojan horses of old days.

Question for @Elector, why would you imagine that SPRINT users have had this release of software for a couple of weeks, presumably from Samsung, for their Galaxy S3's and we do not hear them complaining about this problem.  Of course, the SPRINT 4G LTE network is sparse right now (and why I left SPRINT for VZW last September), maybe that's the reason? Also, we do not seem to hear this kind of feedback going on for other VZW smartphone models. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

You have a good point about sprint. Since they have lower numbers of customers the complaints would be lower.

In verizons case huge customer base naturally more complaints. But the actual culprit is Samsung. They push out the operating system upgrades for their phones, this forum is full of other makes and models of failed updates. Just search for that Jelly Bean update and its multitude of issues.

The Samsung Multi windows suite was an add on. I am not sure if the suite was pre installed on the other carriers Galaxy iii phones. If it was that could be why there is not much complained about in other forums. I just don't know for sure.

0 Likes
Moose55
Enthusiast - Level 1

The recent update trashed my S3 also, tech support sent me a refurb, but it has the same problems, so nothing was wrong with my phone. After 13 years with Verizon I'm thinking of moving on to another company, this is NOT acceptable. Why have a hot rod phone that's stuck in the mud?

Dampier
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everything I have been able to piece together through multiple store visits and phone calls with Verizon and Samsung is reported here:

http://stopthecap.com/2013/06/03/verizons-defective-upgrade-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-kills-4g-performan...

I'd say most of the troubleshooting tips from Verizon might get a degraded data connection back if one is totally lost, but nothing is going to fix this until a firmware upgrade is released. If your phone is under warranty, get a free refurb replacement instead.

0 Likes
checksigner
Enthusiast - Level 1

How come no one from Verizon has commented on any of the G3 issues since the update?