Disable wifi direct on Galaxy S8
Hereathome

How do I disable WiFi direct on Galaxy S8? I followed the instructions below, but tapping WiFi direct only starts search for another device with WiFi direct enabled. Tapping on WiFi does nothing.

Turn Wi-Fi Direct On / Off - Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Re: Disable wifi direct on Galaxy S8
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can help with the steps to disable Wifi on your device HereatHome. I will list the steps below to remove a wifi connection:

1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.

Note These instructions apply to Standard mode only.

2. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings icon > Wi-Fi WiFi settings icon.

3. Tap the Wi-Fi network.

Note If not available, ensure Wi-Fi is turned on Switch On icon (located in the upper-right).

4. Tap Forget.

Here are steps to turn the wifi off:

1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.

Note These instructions apply to Standard mode only.

2. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings icon > Wi-Fi WiFi settings icon.

3. Tap the Wi-Fi switch (located in the upper-right) to turn on Switch On icon or off Switch Off icon.

Please let me know if the above steps help with your request.

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my  response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button  under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our  conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking time to reach out about your concerns with WiFi Direct. It does appear that Android devices will have WiFi Direct enabled any time WiFi is enabled. Do you have any concerns with the functionality of the service that we can further troubleshoot?

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Hereathome

I understand how to turn WiFi on but I want to turn WiFi direct off. This page from Verizon knowledge base mentions turning WiFi direct on and off. Turn Wi-Fi Direct On / Off - Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ | Verizon Wireless  However, it only explains how to turn it on and not off. As you can see from the screenshot, WiFi Direct is still enabled.  I simply want to turn it off. I hid the actual access points for privacy reasons.Screenshot_20170816-094805[1].jpg

0 Likes
Hereathome

I should mention that we have two Galaxy S8's and one of them does not have WiFi direct enabled. For what it is worth, I mistaken clicked on WiFi direct one morning before I had my glasses and a message about WiFi direct came on the screen but disappeared before I could read it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hereathome, thank you so much for the additional details and screen shot. I want to make sure that we can assist as much as possible. What happens once you tap on the "Wif-Fi Direct" button in the upper right? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Hereathome

I get this screen. And the other S8 that does not have WiFi direct is right beside it.

Screenshot_20170818-103027[1] (2).jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hereathome, thank you so much for providing me with the screen shots on what you're seeing when you tap on Wi-Fi Direct. Sounds like you're doing all the proper steps to get this setting turned off. At this point, I would recommend reaching out directly to Samsung for further assistance. They do have a chat feature on their support site: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/. Then, select "Contact" at the bottom right of the page. Then you can click on Live Chat. I'm confident that they'll be able to assist further with this issue.

KevinR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Hereathome

Unfortunately I chatted and called Samsung a couple of times and they told me to contact Verizon since you are my carrier...........

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hereathome,

I'm saddened to hear you aren't getting the support needed. We'll get this. Here's a link with how to turn WiFi direct on and off: http://spr.ly/65808xM0k Describe what happens when you use these steps?

Jive Signature:

KatiM_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes