Data Connection Problems and 4.4.2 update
BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

After installing the new update, my 4G connection stops working.  It will sometimes work, other times only 3G, and other times no data connection at all.  Verizons only suggestion right now is to keep restarting the phone, which only helps for about 10 minutes until it drops data connection again.  It appears to be random, and happens in areas that were previously good coverage areas.  Anyone else having this issue?

Re: Data Connection Problems and 4.4.2 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@BobK406

Software updates are intended to provide you a better wireless experience.  I want to ensure your device can maintain a good 4G connection.

Have you tried removing and reinserting the 4G SIM Card http://vz.to/1ned6qI?  I would also like to ensure your WiFi is disabled (Off) http://vz.to/1nedm9m.  Please keep me posted.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried that exact process after speaking to someone at verizon tech support, and it did not help.  I have also tried turning off the wifi and it would still show no data connection.  None of this ever happened until I installed the new update, and while I do appreciate you guys trying, it is unacceptable to me to keep turning on and off my wifi and removing and reinserting my sim card.  I never had to do that before this update.  I am hoping to uninstall the update since my phone is not working properly since.  As I type this, my phone currently has no data connection, and I am in a spot that always had very good 4g connection.  Thanks

0 Likes
laura3773
Enthusiast - Level 1

BobK406 I too started having data problems after the update. I got a new SIM card from a Verizon store and it seems to have helped in most places, but not at my work. I've even done a full factory reset. Spent an hour chatting with a support person (who was very nice) and now have a ticket in with the network engineers.  Turning airplane mode on then off again helps get the short period of connection - I don't have to turn it all the way off and back on again.

0 Likes
Skyke101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, my wife and I have the Samsung S4 and both of our phones updated on 5-4-2014. I used to NEVER have connection/reception/signal issues while sitting at my desk. Now it is ridiculous! I now have to resend messages over and over and over. I work 40 miles west of Phoenix, AZ, and I used to have 3G at my desk  with green and orange arrows and 3 to 4 white bars. Now, I no longer have 3G, no green and orange arrows and only 2 to 3 white bars. This is ridiculous! I can't believe I am paying for this!! I have not EVER had signal issues until my S4 updated to Kit Kat yesterday, and my wife, who is in town, is having the exact same problems.

BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did go to the verizon store yesterday and got a new SIM card, which did help for about 10 minutes.  I then did a full factory reset, which helped until this morning.  I now only have spotty 3g where I used to have full 4g.  I will try the airplane mode trick until I go back to the verizon store and see what other options I have, if any.  Thanks

0 Likes
BobK406
Enthusiast - Level 3

After speaking to verizon tech support for the second time today, their only solutions are wait for an update and pay for data while not actually having an internet connection; exchange my very new phone for a certified pre used phone and hope that one works; or, buy a brand new phone at full price.  I went with the used phone, since this seemed like the best worst option.  My advice to anyone who hasn't installed the new KitKat update is DONT DO IT.  You cannot uninstall it.  It has seriously affected my Samsung S4 in a negative way and Verizon is incapable of helping fix it.  Hence their only solution is try a new (used) phone!  What a joke...

wolfspb

Same problem. Only way to fix is to reboot. Lame.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this service issue Skyke101! I understand that you are about 40 miles from Phoenix, what's your ZIP code? In the mean time reprogram your phone by powering off, then pull the SIM card for one minute, then reinsert SIM and power on. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
OToughOne

3rd party applications can cause conflict with the 4G network.  prior to the last Samsung Galaxy s4 update may 2014 my phone worked correctly.  After updating the 4 the 4G went erratic and would continue to drop signal.  After Verizon support had me take the phone back to factory pull the battery and then replace the sim card the phone was replaced and still had the same issue.  The lesson here is don't restore your data and application until you verify operation.

In my case a data compression program call Onavo extend was causing the 4G to be interrupted.  Try removing data related applications and see if that helps.

0 Likes