Re: Custom contact notification sounds gone
NRGDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ringtones are not the issue. I receive very few phone calls. THIS IS ABOUT MESSAGE TONES THAT YOU CAN ASSIGN TO YOUR DIFFERENT CONTACTS AS PEOPLE HAVE EXPLAINED MULTIPLE TIMES.

Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

VZW, are you looking into this issue! It is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable to remove a filed that many ppl use and then expect your customers to switch to your messaging app in order to maybe "fix": the issue. My contract is due for renewal and I might just switch to another carrier. 

The text message tone field not not there as many of us has already mentioned. When will this issue be fixed?

LenniePaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

KATMOO55 clearly stated losing custom message tones AND custom ringtones .

0 Likes
Kathyhm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am able to  customize my ringtones but not the ones for messages.   I want this back also. 

SASSYSANDGIRL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just spent an hr chatting with an unhelpful Verizon tech who says its Samsungs issue but when you talk to Samsung they said Verizon didn't authorize the custom text notifications.  They said Verizon wanted only a custom vibrate option. I use the custom text notifications to distinguish between work texts and personal texts. I need this capability restored

deloused
Master - Level 3

Samsung removed the custom contact notification feature from their messaging app with the recent software update. Switching carriers won’t help, but switching messaging apps will as there are several others available that still offer this functionality.

Many Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and foreign carrier users reported the issue to Samsung and requested that they restore the functionality as it’s affecting those using the updated Samsung Messages app regardless of carrier.

S8 custom text notification sound missing after Or... - Samsung Community - 292385

NRGDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke with Samsung and they did not remove functionality from their own app. That would make no sense for them to do that anyway.

deloused
Master - Level 3

That’s interesting since only the developers of each application has the ability to alter its code and functions, and the Samsung Messaging App is developed by Samsung. Did they have any ideas who might have removed that feature from their app on all their Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile Oreo devices?

NRGDC
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is exactly why I called Samsung directly. I would have thought that they would be the only ones to be able to change the functionality of their app. I was told by the Samsung representative that the Verizon update would be able to change the functionality of different apps how they pleased.

Two questions:  1)why would the functionality of the Samsung App happen to change at the exact same time when the Verizon update finished? 2) why would Samsung change their app in a way that most of the people using the app would not appreciate?

Answers: 1)the VERIZON UPDATE CAUSED THE CHANGE (PROBLEM). 2) THEY WOULD NOT.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

1) why would the functionality of the Samsung App happen to change at the exact same time when the Verizon update finished?

-The new software package included updates from Google, Samsung & Verizon.

2) why would Samsung change their app in a way that most of the people using the app would not appreciate?

-One could only guess, it could be do to developer error, technical compatibility of Samsung’s built-in app functions, cost concerns, etc.

If the Verizon update was the cause of the problem then this would only be happening with Verizon customers. When Samsung’s on T-Mobile, AT&T and also the non-carrier unlocked Galaxy’s updated to Oreo this feature was also removed from those devices. Since the unlocked models have the same issue with Oreo and they get the updates directly from the manufacturer with no carrier involvement in the process, and they’re the only ones who can make technical changes to their apps the change was obviously caused by Samsung.

I get that you’ve received incorrect information from Samsung regarding the change, several users have also reported that they were told by Samsung that they had removed that functionality in Oreo, (Like the examples here)-

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/876642-my-individual-contact-notific...

Also several tech sites have posted about the issue stating that Samsung had removed that functionality in Oreo. (Like the example here)-

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/custom-different-sms-notification-sound-for-contacts-on-galaxy-s8-s9-...

While this occurred with the new update for existing devices, the S9 was released new with Oreo, and its the first Galaxy device to lack the custom messaging notification feature in Samsung’s apps since it’s product launch. For physical proof, check out any Samsung Oreo device like the S9 (or an updated S8 etc) at a store like Best Buy. On the unlocked models they sell with only Samsung’s apps that feature is MIA.