Cooling down indicator on when phone is not hot Galaxy s5
titianfire
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last month or so, my phone will occasionally have the Cooling Down indicator at the top.  But the phone is not hot and actually cold to the touch.  Battery life is fine when it is on.  Have not noticed a pattern as to when it comes on.  This morning it was one when I woke up (it was charging while I was asleep, but I've always done this since getting the phone last August) and is still on while I'm at work.  I've had it unplugged for over 7 hours now.  My office is always cold in winter but the indicator will not go off.

It's also just appeared while at work, not plugged in to charge.  It will stay on for a couple of hours to all day, then go away.  I took the phone into Verizon but they had not heard of this issue before.  They actually asked me if I had searched for info online - great help from tech support people.  The only issue with this indicator I can find is for phones that are actually hot, some from the latest upgrade.  I'm not on Lollipop - and will do all I can to stay away from that update from what I've read on here.

Trying to determine if this indicator is from another issue with the phone.  Anyone having this problem?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Cooling down indicator on when phone is not hot Galaxy s5
bearone21
Legend

where is this cooling down indicator?? is it a 3rd party app??

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very intriguing titianfire! I have not seen this issue either, but I want to get to the root cause and explore options to resolve! You mentioned that battery life is fine and phone is cool to the touch. Do you experience any service issues with the phone when this indicator appears? Did you notice if this indicator appeared after installing a particular application?

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
titianfire
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not installed any new applications in several months.  The

indication has now been on for over 24 hours.

>> Personal information removed by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

titianfire Thank you for providing those extra details. Is the phone in extremely cold temperatures? You mentioned that your office is cold and the indicator can appear for any extreme temperature.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
titianfire
Enthusiast - Level 2

My office temp is usually not below 60 degrees.  It's cold to me but not really that cold.  Indicator is still on, we are are now at 31 hours, at least.

>> Personal information removed by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

where does this indicator show up??

0 Likes
titianfire
Enthusiast - Level 2

The indicator is on the notification bar at the top.  It's a battery with an ! in a triangle - like a yield sign.  We are now at over 33 hours with it on.  Phone is not hot.  Has been off the charger for 9 hours, sitting at 67% battery life left - this is pretty normal but I have been using the phone more today than usual.

With all apps closed, the only thing showing that is using battery is

Screen 32%

Android System 19%

Android OS 10%

Voice Calls 6% (no idea what this is)

Gmail 5%

Facebook 4%

Cell standby 3%

Wifi 3%

Phone (calls) 3%

Applications are using 1.3GB with 563MB free.  I have no idea what some of them are for but nothing looks out of the ordinary.  Than again, I'm not that tech savvy.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
sheritah_vzw
Verizon Employee

titianfire

I would be just as concerned if an unknown indicator appeared on my device. Does the exclamation point and triangle also include a error message? What is the indication that this is for the phone overheating?

SheritaH_VZW

Follow on Twitter

@VZWsupport

0 Likes
titianfire
Enthusiast - Level 2

The indicator is still on, has never gone off since I found it last week.

We are at about 100 hours with in on.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM, sheritah_vzw <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes