Can you limit mobile data use to 3g on Galaxy S7?
Lstminutepanic
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know that other phones and carriers allow you to restrict mobile networks, but it looks as though Verizon has purposefully removed this feature on the S7.

I like to use 3g for streaming music because it seems to use less data than 4g LTE. I'm also willing to try an app that would limit the network if anyone has a recommendation.

0 Likes
Re: Can you limit mobile data use to 3g on Galaxy S7?
bearone21
Legend

none i'm aware of, most folks want 4g.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This would be possible if the Engineering Menu were still allowed. Verizon / Samsung have collectively disabled this hidden menu on many devices, but you can find it on the factory unlocked phones. In the past, I used to use this to force my old Galaxy S3 to LTE-Only mode when I really needed the LTE to stay connected.

I would recommend checking with the application itself to limit the bitrate. Many services will let you select the quality either within the player or within the account settings. But more and more, services prefer to use "automagic" mode for some insane reason.

Besides forcing the phone to 3G mode, there are some apps which exists, such as BradyBound (BradyBound - Android Apps on Google Play) however the apps require rooting the phone, due to how low level they access the phone to throttle the traffic. This is not supported by the manufacturer, or Verizon, could put your phone at risk if it's incorrectly done, and will void your warranty.

The best solution would be to ask Verizon to make the data plans come out of 2006.

Lstminutepanic
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the insight. I suppose a simple solution would be too much to ask for. I'll take a look at the individual apps that I use and see if they have a more "data friendly" option.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd be on the lookout for an Android feature in the future that allows this without having to root or use third party apps. Android Marshmallow and Android Lollipop were both rumored to have such traffic shaping features implemented. They might be implemented in the Kernel, if you're fluent in tc and iptables within the Android command line, but definitely not in an easy to use GUI yet Smiley Happy

0regon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know! Can you believe that they don't offer a way for people to throttle their own internet connection?!? With EVERYBODY on capped internet data usage why can't we pick WHEN we're on 4g LTE or the barely functional 3g internet?!? For those that don't understand why this is so important to some users I'll explain.

I use my mobile data plan as a mobile hotspot for my pc. Verizon is great for this because I get 10gb of data at 4g LTE. After that's used up I'm throttled for the remainder of the month at 3g speeds. Because I'm forced to use the 4g LTE until it's used up, I have to spend, at least, the last two weeks of my plan on 3g which is horrible for doing most things. Well, if I could switch my phone between 3g and 4g, then I'd be able to better manage my allotted 10 gb so that it lasts me the whole month.

The fact that they blocked this function from my Galaxy S6 leads me to believe that it was purposeful, as my only option is to then purchase another 3gb of 4g LTE for $20.

I haven't checked with the BBB to see if there have been tons of complaints about this, or perhaps a class action lawsuit, because it really seems like a money grab by a large conglomerate.

FYI, to those reading this, Verizon has, by far, the best mobile data prepaid plans, and best coverage, as well as first class customer service. My grievance is the only issue I've had to an otherwise PHENOMENAL provider.