Can I use my Samsung Galaxy S4 with a local SIM card in Germany?
Mietz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’ll soon be leaving to Germany for 6 weeks. I would like to take my (Verizon-) Samsung Galaxy S4 along and use it pretty much like I do here in the US (calling, social media etc. emails etc).

I recently got off a 2 year contract. I want to unlock the phone (if I need to - ?) and take out the SIM card and once I’m in Germany put in a local SIM card with a new number.

When I come back I want to put my Verizon-SIM card (4 LTE ?) back and I assume it’ll be running normal.

I don’t want to cancel or even suspend my Verizon account while I’m overseas.

In Germany I’m thinking of purchasing a pre-paid and good for one month SIM- card from ALDI with  600MB and unlimited calls and text (13 Euros per month).

These are my questions:

1. Will it work? Have you done this or something similar? On Amazon they sell the S4 in different versions, like Verizon or Unlocked. And I wonder if my Verizon version can’t be unlock or it doesn’t work on Europoe’s GSM system.

1. IF it should work, then all I have to do is:

After adding the new SIM card I go to   settings>connections>more networks>mobile networks and switch the "Network Mode" to "LTE/GSM/UNITS"  ?

1. And when I come back to the US I switch out the SIMs and the setting back to

back "Network Mode" to "LTE/CDMA"

Thanks,

Martin

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 with a local SIM card in Germany. Will it work?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The device is already unlocked.

You are correct in the steps to take using your phone over there. I would leave your Verizon SIM card somewhere safe so you don't have any problems when you return.

Someone recently tried to use an S4 overseas, but they were only able to access the 3G, so if you run into any problems, I would think that's the only one you may experience. It really depends on the carrier you decide on though and what capabilities they have.

View solution in original post

Re: Using my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 with a local SIM card in Germany. Will it work?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The device is already unlocked.

You are correct in the steps to take using your phone over there. I would leave your Verizon SIM card somewhere safe so you don't have any problems when you return.

Someone recently tried to use an S4 overseas, but they were only able to access the 3G, so if you run into any problems, I would think that's the only one you may experience. It really depends on the carrier you decide on though and what capabilities they have.

Mietz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your FAST reply!  Smiley Happy

Martin

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

No problem. Someone was on here awhile back and said they had to manually input the APN when they got back, otherwise there was no issue. If there is, you can hop back on here.

I imagine if you run into the same problem over there, you may also be able to manually input the APN, but that's a bit out of my reach of knowledge.

0 Likes
Mietz
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is good to know. Because I don't know what an APN is and I would like to use the phone during my first layover in the US on the way back with my Verizon SIM card.

Where can find the APN?

Thanks

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Make sure you put the SIM card in something protective so it doesn't get damage.

Let me look to see if I can find their thread.

Here is a link to a thread for more info:

Verizon APN Settings & Verizon MMS Settings for Android phones

You can actually view your current APN also:

settings>more networks>mobile networks>access point names>verizon internet

You can see what the APN name is currently, and scroll down and you'll see MCC # etc etc. Maybe take a mental note, or a couple screen shots of everything. JUST in case.

Mietz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your correspondence has been most helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Martin

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

No problem. Have a great trip.

0 Likes