Can I add a custom ringtone in the Verizon Messages app?
NDDave

Previously, with my Samsung Galaxy S5, I was able to select a custom MP3 file for my text message notification tone. However, with my new S7 Edge this option seems to be gone. I was able to add the mp3 file to the phone's list of ringtones, but the Message+ app (and the Samsung Messages app) only allow a notification tone to be selected from a very restricted list with no evident way to add a new tone. Is there a way to add my preferred sound to the list?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Have custom tones for the messaging app been disabled
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to add the tone to the Notifications folder not the Ringtones folder in order for the tone to be listed in the notification tone options. The phone maintains three separate lists of tones (Ringtones, Notifications and Alarms). You can copy mp3 files between the folders and have the same tone for all alerts, but out of box this is not the case.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on receiving your new Samsung Galaxy S7. We'd like to help you get everything set up to your preferences. Here are step-by-step instructions for adding a ringtone to your contacts for messaging:

1. Turn on the Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge.
2. Go to the Dialer app.
3. Browse and select the contact you want to edit a ring tone for.
4. Select the pen-shaped icon to edit the contact.
5. Then select the “Ringtone” button.
6. A popup window will show up with all your ringtone sounds.
7. Browse and select the song you want to use as a ringtone.
8. If the ringtone you made isn’t listed hit “Add” and find it in your device storage, then select it.

Please let us know if you need further assistance with this.

DeannaL_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
NDDave

I am not looking to add a ringtone (as I mentioned in my original message, I successfully added the mp3 file to the Ringtone list) nor am I trying to add a ringtone for a specific contact, which is what your instructions are for.

I am trying to use a specific mp3 file for the default notification sound in the Message+ application. (Or the Samsung Message app, either would do). However, the list of available notification tones is NOT the same as the list of ringtones, nor is there an option for adding a new tone.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to add the tone to the Notifications folder not the Ringtones folder in order for the tone to be listed in the notification tone options. The phone maintains three separate lists of tones (Ringtones, Notifications and Alarms). You can copy mp3 files between the folders and have the same tone for all alerts, but out of box this is not the case.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

NDDave

Thank you Ann, that was precisely what I needed to know. It worked perfectly.

0 Likes