Backspace key in email is causing cursor to jump down a line
rosie232
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've recently noticed that when in email, when I use my backspace key to go back to correct a typo, my cursor jumps down to the next line. This has been happening since software was updated a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought I was just hitting the next line space key accidently since it is right below the backspace key, but....it is not me. I've tested the issue:

• Type a word and immediately select the backspace key
  • Cursor will delete the word you typed, and jump down to the next line instead of staying on the line you are typing on.

Very annoying - have to keep repositioning the cursor to the correct line.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Backspace key in email is causing cursor to jump down a line
Chip_Wright
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know this will sound bad, but are you sure you aren't hitting the RETURN key instead of the BACKSPACE key?  I have done that many times.

Re: Backspace key in email is causing cursor to jump down a line
rosie232
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I'm sure. As I stated, that's what I thought I was doing initially (although I never had that problem previously). It happened again as I was responding to this email.

When I hit keys on my keyboard they are highlighted in orange, I can see the backspace key highlighted, and the word I typed gets deleted as a result of hitting the backspace key, but the cursor jumps to the next line.

It only happens when you type and use the backspace key immediately (no space after the word you want to delete). By the way, I'm an IT project and program manager, I understand the importance of accurately documenting defects - this is a defect.

Before I know it, my cursor is down on my signature line, and my font has changed to a smaller size font (my signature line is a 9 point font, the body of my emails is a 12 point font).

<Full name removed for privacy per the .>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi rosie232,

I know the importance of having your keyboard working the way it's intended. Let's make sure we get it back to it's normal view. Can you provide the email provider you use for correspondence on your phone? Which email application do you use? Have you tested this with text messaging or browser typing to duplicate the issue? Please provide us these details so we can get to the root cause of the issue.

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Daniel3371

I am seeing the same the thing.  It is the stocked Application that came with my Galaxy 2. Its the App that has the red @ symbol.  not the Gmail app.  I have 2 different emails on the Red@ app and both of them drop the cursor down to the next line when backspacing.  yahoo is fine. Texting is fine and it does matter if i am using the S pen or my finger.  very annoying.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's certainly strange Daniel. I just had a co-worker test and I was not able to duplicate this issue. Does this only happen when deleting whole words or individual letters as well? Are you using Swype or the standard keyboard?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes