Auto-correct spelling while texting
ArtistPaula

I had an HTC Incredible 2 for 2.5 years and it always auto corrected my spelling in text messages, which I just loved.

Now that I have my new Samsung Galaxy S4, it doesn't do that.  It suggests spellings, but doesn't change anything.  I'm so used to auto-correct that I keep sending texts that have misspelled words and it's driving me NUTS!!

I absolutely LOVE the S4's keyboard with the numbers on top (though I HATE that it doesn't have a comma on the front screen) and don't want to use another app that doesn't have that type of keyboard.

Any suggestions on how to make it auto-correct??  I can't find anything in settings regarding auto-correct.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Auto-correct spelling while texting
Klue
Master - Level 1

Go to

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I hate it when that happens. What I was going to say is the S4 user guide says this phone has that feature through a drill down menu from an active text screen when you push the setting button.  However I went and checked my S4 and none of the advanced keyboard features that the manual says that are available in this phone are missing.  Unless they got moved to another menu after the user guide was printed..

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

I've read that Samsung left out auto correct and a number of other features for the keyboard.  However in the Google Ap store the is an Ap called Jelly Bean Keyboard that is built pretty much identical to the keyboard on the S4, and it has the auto correct feature plus many more.

0 Likes
ArtistPaula

Thanks!!  I'll definitely check it out!!

0 Likes
ArtistPaula

Well, I tried it and even though it works, the keyboard is so hard to read (yes, I changed the different templates and the heights of the keys) and it squishes the numbers on the top row.  I uninstalled it.

THIS SUCKS!!!  How many millions of people with smart phones that aren't even half as nice as the S4 have auto-correct?  ALL OF THEM!!!  Why would Samsung leave that BASIC feature out???  I feel like I've taken 10 steps back and now I have to look at every single word I type to make sure it's spelled correctly.  Talk about going back in time!!  I feel like I'm in high school in typing class!!  I'm 55!!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you turned on the predictive text for the Samsung keyboard? What does the keyboard do when you select the words listed above the keyboard? It should insert the predicted word into the text box.

The comma is available through a long press of the period key.

You can also download the Google keyboard from the Play Store to try.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Most of my texting is done by voice as it is so much faster than typing for me.  I still find that after 3-4 lines of text I still have to go back and maybe correct a couple of words. Of course while in a noisy place or want privacy I will struggle with manual entry via the swipe method.

0 Likes
ArtistPaula

Yes, my predictive text is toggled On, and I get suggested words and I can choose them, but my phone never fixes typos, ever.  My Incredible 2 just automatically corrected typos and I expected that with my new S4.

What a pain in the butt not to have a comma on the keyboard, but, yes, I found how to insert it with the long press.  I'm not a kid and I like to send texts as if I were speaking with punctuation and whole words.  All my friends, who are older as I am, like to do the same.

I've tried most of the keyboards in the Play Store, and 99% of them do not have the numbers at the top, which is a great feature.

I was also chatting with Samsung about it and they said they left out auto-correct.  Talk about going back into the dark ages!!

0 Likes