Anybody else having trouble with GPS
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

When I use ONLY GPS mode (to avoid data usage), my phone just sits and searches. Anybody else with this problem? Anybody got a fix, other than a FR, which I don't want to do.

S3 with Kit kat.

Re: Anybody else having trouble with GPS
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Some further sleuthing on my part. I have installed an app to check GPS status. It "sees" anywhere from 18-22 satellites, but doesn't have a fix on a single one of them.  Showing 0/22 on the "fix/sats" screen. Strange that it can detect the sats but not get a reading.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

It is called AGPS for a reason. It acquires information from the towers to assist in establishing the first fix. You can let out grind for ten minutes or so, our you can let out download the assistance data it needs.

With GPS Status and toolbox, go into menu and reset the state and download assistance data and tell me how long with it setting at least three satellites it takes to acquire a fix.

Practically, if you have data disabled, you aren't going to see a map either.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Replace the word out with the word it. Apologies.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Hate to sound ungrateful since I came here looking for some help from people smarter than me, but you're wrong on both counts.

I have the location mode set to "high accuracy", which is SUPPOSED to use towers, wifi, and satellites to calculate location. Still no fix on the sats (O/26).

As for needing data for maps, there are a number of stand alone apps that don't need a data connection. The one I'm trying to use is Navfree. Many Americans use it in Europe without using expensive data, because it depends on the GPS sats to calculate location.

But thanks for trying to be of assistance. There are several threads complaining about the S3 GPS not working after recent updates as well as a couple of fixes. I've tried everything except a FR to no avail.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you have High Accuracy mode set, but you have disabled "Automatic date and time" and "Automatic timezone"?

If you've actually attempted to Reset the state of the GPS sub-system and you've downloaded the assistance data using a program like the one I suggested, - I don't know how likely performing a FDR will be in fixing your problem - but what else have you got to try?

Good luck to you.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

When I go to the menu, I have four choices; get pro, settings, help, and about. I don't see reset under settings. I have display and tools, units, gps & sensors, background behavior, and about. I don't find a "reset" under any of them. I appreciate your helping me, am I just missing it?

Just to add. There is a bar that shows all the sats detected. about 3/4 are yellow, the rest are grey. I have filters set to strong.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

My bad. They changed the UI of the program recently.

If it's supported in the non-Pro version... with the compass on the display, perform a swype down gesture. You should see a wrench up in the title area. Select that, then select "Manage A-GPS State".

Select Reset to go to a cold start state, then select Download to get the assistance data.

You might as well calibrate your Compass, and pitch and roll while in the configuration menu (if it's in the non-Pro version that is). While these should not affect your ability to get a fix, I imagine they could impact the performance of your moving map with the GPS once you are off and running.

I presume (you can ding me again, I don't care), that you actually need to start off obtaining a fix with the data enabled. While, I think these A-GPS implementations will get a fix if you let them run long enough without a data connection. According to a WiKi I looked at this could be 12-15minutes. However, if you have your data enabled, if your HW and SW are working properly (I know the Samsung devices are having a nasty time with connectivity post update to KK), then you should obtain a lock in under a minute.

If you can't - you might try SAFE mode. And if that doesn't work, you try an FDR after doing a backup. And if they've totally hosed your phone with the KK update, well, if in the states, I presume they'd simply replace your phone with another refurb if you are still under warranty. Some posters have indicated relief going to the Better Business Bureau when they've simply replaced their phones a number of times without obtaining one that works.

Regards.

pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me (no thanks to ANYONE from Verizon), but nothing helped. Against my better judgement, I did a factory reset and still nothing. Apparently Verizon and Samsung refuse to do anything about this issue, as I'm not the only one with it. KK did a LOT of damage to people's devices and Verizon/Samsung/Google refuse to even acknowledge it, let alone fix it. Who ever's fault it is, the other two could bring pressure on the guilty party to fix it.

For these reasons, not sure I'll be staying with Verizon when my contract is up in two months. I KNOW I won't be getting another Samsung phone.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Sorry nothing worked.

0 Likes