Android 5.0 Lollipop Alarm Changes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

After updating your Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0 Lollipop software, you may notice that your device alarms do not sound when your device is on silent mode.

Samsung has provided the following instructions to revert back to similar alarm alert behavior:

1. Put the device into 'Vibrate'
  2. Tap the gear icon in the top right of the volume pop-up. Choose 'Only allow priority interruptions' and 'Indefinitely'
  3. Beneath where 'Indefinitely' was chosen there is an option for 'Settings' where users can further customize their priority interruptions, but alarms are a priority by default.
  4. At this point the alarm settings within the Clock/Alarms area will function as they are set and the alarm will audibly sound.

While the device is not truly in 'Mute' mode anymore, this will provide the same level of functionality.

Re: Android 5.0 Lollipop Alarm Changes
BearJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

My first comment is, WHY WOULD THIS LOLLIPOP UPDATE MAKE IT SO HARD TO USE THE ALARM (among other issues)?  Secondly, the menus on my Galaxy 5 don't show the same settings you suggest.  I'm sorry if I seem angry, but I AM!!!  Not at you, at Verizon for saying before you install the update that you can go back to the previous operating system WHEN THAT WAS A LIE!!!  Then, the upgrade is not an upgrade at all but it sure is a downgrade.  VERY STUPID MOVE VERIZON!  You made a very nice phone a piece of crap... thank you, for NOTHING!

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The instructions above leave out information regarding the first step: 

use the volume button on the side of the phone to put the device into Vibrate

Then follow the above instructions, keeping in mind that when you first put the phone in Vibrate, the pop-up window doesn't stay visible long at all.

0 Likes
WebBull
Enthusiast - Level 2

Super frustrated. I have done everything I have read everywhere including the above instructions. Cleared cache partition, pulled battery, etc. My alarm still does not work if the phone is locked. Help!

0 Likes
nrev

This is about the most insane thing I have ever read.  Why would they make this so difficult to use? And, why would I want to hear my phone vibrate all night just so I can have an alarm in the morning?  This makes no sense.  This is horrible.  And I don't like that you cannot easily switch from Mute to Vibrate to Sound when your phone is locked.  They took really nice functionalities away.Is there any way to revert back???

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no way to revert back to the previous OS.  The mute button is supposed to be returned whenever the next update is released.  In the meantime, you may want to use Interruptions; it took the place of Blocking mode.

Re: What happen to the s5 blocking mode after the lollipop update?

0 Likes
nrev

But what about my alarm?

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:06 AM, tikibar1 <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alarms are considered priority interruptions, so set your interruptions to only allow priority interruptions.

0 Likes
daria3532

The alarm is a priority in mute yet the alarm does not sound.  I have to have the phone on vibrate for alarm to sound.  This way I can hear it vibrate all night.  Not great.  The only thing I want to wake me up is my alarm. 

I thought maybe blocking mode would help, but that seems to be gone too.

0 Likes
JTNC

I can't believe it. These complaints dated back almost 3 months and Verizon still hasn't fixed the problem. That tells us a lot, doesn't it? Maybe they'll give us all a $$$ credit so we can buy an alarm clock app that works better than their "upgrade does." So much for faith in the phone company. Wonder what they'll mess up next.

0 Likes