A recent Sprint refugee
Rix1
Enthusiast - Level 1

First, a little history.  For my last month or so with Sprint I was getting terrible signal reception.  I was stuck at 2 bars 3G.  Making calls and texting were fine but anything having to do with the internet was no go.  I could drive to neighboring towns and get a stronger signal so the problem was obviously on thier end.  After giving me the run-a-round for a while they claimed that they were "migrating" to new towers and whatever backup system they were using in the meantime just couldn't cut it.  Since they couldn't tell me when normal service would be restored or if it would be at the levels was used to I decided to switch.

Now, service with Verizon seems fine so far.  Internet is working as well as the hotspot.  What concerns me is that the signal meter reads three bars.  I don't expect full bars all the time where ever I go but after my experience with Sprint I'm wary.  I guess I could accept 3 bars if it was consistent but it often drops down to 2 or even 1 though it remains 4G. I checked download speed and it's usually between 30 and 40 Mbps.  Sometimes higher.  Signal strength is around -110 dBm.

I was wondering if the migration Sprint is going through is unique to them or if it's effecting all the Service Providers in my area (just outside of Cape May, New Jersey).  If it is then switching to yet another service isn't likely to improve coverage.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: A recent Sprint refugee
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We greatly appreciate you coming over to Verizon and hope to provide your service for many years to come. We are here to work toward a resolution on your concerns. There are not any reported network issues in the area, so we would like to gather more information. Normally a providers coverage issues are not related to another provider. Bars of the signal is a good reference point, however, bars of service can vary from phone to phone in the same area. The reason being is the bars displayed on the phone is also software related based on the manufacture of the phone. However, there would be no difference in the actual experience between these two phones in the same location with varying bars. Therefore, we like to focus on the actual experience. 30 to 40 Mbps download is meeting the 4G standard. Can you elaborate if you have experienced any problems when using the phone despite the number of bars? Have you heard of others with Verizon experiencing problems in the area?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
Re: A recent Sprint refugee
Rix1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry, that post was more an airing of concerns than reporting a problem.  I know bars aren't everything but my experience at Sprint has left me a little paranoid.  There were a few bumps when I ported my phone over but they were smoothed out the first day. 

Thanks for replying, though.  If any real problems crop up I won't hesitate to report them.

0 Likes