invalid teleservice id and other issues
d0x360
Enthusiast - Level 3

When sending a text message using Google's texting app on my note 9 running Android 9 I often get the invalid teleservice error and there is also another error I get but I can't remember as it's more rare.  Regardless if results in the text failing to send.

The only way to fix it is to enter airplane mode then exit it or reboot.

I also have call issues... I'll have full 4g service (and I've never had this issue before the note 9 and more specifically the Android 9 update).  I'll be talking to someone and I can hear them crystal clear but they can't hear me.  This happens a few min into a call and seems random.  I never lose service according to the phone and I can immediately redial or receive a call again after I manually end the call where the person can't hear me.

Since I have multiple issues and they are all service related (calls, text, data) and the only fix which is temporary is a reboot I think there is something wrong with my phone's antennas.

I'd like to get this fixed considering how expensive the phone is and it should still be under it's year warranty since I bought it in Nov 2018.

If I bring the phone to a Verizon store they chances of them being able to replicate the issue are likely small unless I stay there for a couple hours or more.

If the issue is replicated what will happen?  Will I get a refurbished phone someone else had on the spot or will my phone be fixed?  I'd prefer my own phone back obviously, especially since it's in perfect condition and the last time I got a refurbished phone from a warranty issue it was all scratched up and dirty.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Re: invalid teleservice id and other issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to rely on text messages is paramount. We can perform troubleshooting with you, and posibly solve the issue, without needing a replacement. Have you done any troubleshooting yourself, such as a power cycle, or resetting network settings?

CraigS_VZW

0 Likes
d0x360
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yea it is especially for me because I'm disabled and if I can't get texts, send texts or make calls it's a big issue.  Sometimes my phone will be "awake" and nothing happens and all of a sudden i get notifications about calls, voicemails and texts that had been sent hours prior.

I have rebooted, uninstalled and installed apps, factory reset, network reset disabled wifi calling, enabled wifi calling, tried different wifi networks, tried no wifi at all for the day (in case wifi was the culprit), cleared app caches, cleared app data, run the phone in "safe mode"...

None of the above made a difference and these issues started before the Android 9 update but seem to have become more prevalent since it was released.

I have tons of experience troubleshooting android as I've owned many..many Android phones including the 1st one ever, the HTC G1.  I've also generally rooted all my devices which allowed me to diagnose and usually fix issues myself but the Verizon (snapdragon) edition of the note 9 has no known method of root so I can't check myself whether there is a legitimate hardware issue.

I suspect there is because the issue has persisted through factor resets and going from Android 8 to Android 9.  I did another factory reset prior to the update so the phone would be "clean" but it didn't matter.

As I said in the original post my concern here is reproducing the issue.  It happens completely at random and the phone can be perfectly fine for most of the day.

I've checked signal strength in decibels and not just bars and strength has always shown itself to be fine but it's entirely possible for that to be inaccurate.

So I'm stumped.

Oh lastly I've tried using the phones default messaging and dialer apps as well as Google's versions and a couple others from the play store but the problems persisted regardless.

0 Likes
snike3
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I'm in the same boat...

My Note9 gave the "Error 4: Invalid Teleservice ID" message out of the box direct from Samsung. It seemed to only happen when I was in low service areas (notably my desk at work and many areas of my house).

I worked with Verizon to debug the issue initially. They had me do a reset on the network setting, factory reset phone, replace the SIM card tray, disable WiFi, disable Bluetooth, tweak SIM card/location settings, and a couple other things I can't recall any more. Finally, they did some sort of network reset/reconfigure on their end. Nothing helped.

Finally, they had me swap SIM cards. That finally did the trick.  At least for a few months....

As soon as I got the Android 9 update, the issue came back.

I immediately went and got a new SIM card. That didn't fix it this time. So I contacted Verizon support via chat and they opened up a "network issue" ticket for me. A day later I got a phone call I missed, called in as the message said to so I could provide additional info. When I finally got a hold of someone, I was told the ticket was rejected. The rep then created another ticket, but of a different type and "escalated it". He said I'd get a call in 1-3 days.  Two weeks later, no call....

I finally got fed up with not sending or receiving texts and went to the Verizon store. They decided to just replace the phone.

I got the phone this morning. It appears brand new. No scratches or anything to indicate it's refurbished. However, I still get the error.

At this point I think the Note9 just has a really terrible radio in it and the software can't handle minor errors it introduces. I've had multiple HTC and Motorola phones and never had issues like this, and this phone is by far the most expensive one I've had.

I honestly don't know what to do... Maybe you'll get better support from Verizon than I have. I'd love to know if you end up getting it resolved.

Brandon1776

I've been having a similar issue on my Note 9 since the update I got on 04/16.  When I connect to wifi, not all wifi though, if my phone is idle for 5-10 minutes I can't send/receive calls or texts.  It's like something kicks in and blocks the cell signal because all other notifications come through just fine.  Worked with Verizon and Samsung support and tried everything from clearing cache's to re-flashing to finally being sent a 'like new replacement'.  Still seeing the issue so I don't know if it's some dumb setting that turned on with the update and remains on or what, but it's so frusterating. 

I was so excited for this Note because it was my first non-iPhone and I've LOVED it....up to this point.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A random problem is often the most difficult to solve, Brandon1776. You came to the best place to get some more tips and tricks. After an exhaustive search of internal and external forums, we found others with the same issue, all since the latest update. One key phrase in your analysis got my attention, though: “It's like something kicks in and blocks the cell signal…” This gave me an idea. Please go to your settings, and then click on Connections. Click on Wi-Fi, then on the Advanced button in the top right. Ensure “Switch to Mobile Data” is turned off. Let us know if changing this setting helps. If you explore other settings on the Advanced tab, please also share what happens when making changes to those settings. Together, we’ll come up with the next steps to solve this mysterious issue.

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes
BaruceBruce
Enthusiast - Level 1

Try turning off WiFi Calling. From other posts I have read there is a bug in android/ android messaging app that can lead to this behavior when connected to protected WiFi networks with WiFi calling enabled.

d0x360
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's a good idea but I already made sure it was off

0 Likes
Shadowblade4
Enthusiast - Level 2

It helped when you turn off wifi calling. Settings, advanced calling, turn off. Incredibly, texts go though again without issue.

whidaker1

Same issue.  Been on hte line with Verizon tech support for 40 minutes and nothing.  What's the solution Verizon?  I"m about 10 seconds from cancelling my Verizon service because I'm sitting next to a AT&T customer who has no issues.  I have a Galaxy S10.

0 Likes