Re: Will Verizon allow previous Note 7 users trade in early to get a Note 8?
LESNET58
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish Verizon would see that to truly be doing something for its Note 7 customers, the proper thing would be to allow early trade ins of the devices we downgraded to, since we were not able to get our original phones back from them. If they would have returned my Note 3 instead of me having to change to a note 5 after the recall, I could get the same deal they are offering me for being a loyal customer.  It is a slap in the face to see a pop up each time I visit Verizon wireless and the emails from Verizon that tout such a great deal to former Note 7 owners, that in reality they are offering to any Verizon customers.  Verizon, take a page from Sprint's book.  They are allowing their customers to trade their devices after 12 payments have been made, much better than requiring payment in full

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want you to stay with Verizon and be able to have the phone that you've been waiting for, CK10. There is a special offer running on the Note 8 due to the Samsung recall on the Note 7 from last year. After paying the balance on your current phone and then trading in your device you will be paying $20 per month for the Note 8 instead of $40. At the end of the day you are saving 50%, the total cost will be $480 for this phone instead of the full retail price of $960. The manufacturer has fully recognized that customers have been through a lot with the Note 7 recall, this is why the special pricing is available when ordering through Verizon. After the Note 7 was recalled did you trade in for an S7 device? If so, this higher trade in value would only be available with the S7 model, when ordering through Samsung a Galaxy S6 has a trade in value of $200, or $336 through Verizon. Please use the See Offer Details link here: http://vz.to/2vnzCoq for more information. In addition, after the recall you would have been provided with at least $100 in bill incentive credits to your wireless account to thank you for  your loyalty and to help with the inconvenience of not being able to use the Note 7 phone. Does this help clarify things for you?

LaurenC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TLEON996
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm confused, in your response to CK10, you said the trade in value for his S6 is $200 or $336 through Verizon. When I explored the trade in option for my S7 Edge on line (My Verizon website), I was given a trade in value of only $175, why does my newer phone have a trade in value of only half that of the S6???

RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

Like I've told others, if you have no dog in this fight, kindly step out.

LAHNABEA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was on the phone with Verizon a few times to discuss this. It really is frustrating! I had waited to upgrade my phone when I learned about the Note 7. Finally, when it arrived, I was instantly in love (I had been a Note 4 user - I love the Notes). The recall was so disappointing. But I did what I was supposed to do and traded my phone for another phone that wasn't a Note and wasn't what I wanted. Now, I can't upgrade to a Note 8 until I pay off my contract (October 2018). I'm almost tempted to take a loss, pay off the dumb thing and have Samsung buy my current phone and get the deal they're offering Note 7 users. I'd be free from a contract with Verizon! That might be worth the price. I'm "this close" but am holding out to see if Verizon will step up.

CK10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lauren - Thank you for the reply. When the note was recalled I had to turn in my phone at the store and then I had no phone, so what was I to do (since I could not get my S6 back)?  As previously stated, if there was no Note 7 ever made, I would probably still have my S6 waiting for the Note 8.  Like many others I was under the impression Samsung/Verizon would make this right when the new Note was available.  Instead I am locked into a long term obligation I DID NOT WANT TO BE IN!  What I keep hearing is that all you have to do is pay off your phone and you get $480 off a new phone....BUT I owe that much on the old phone!  So you are basically allowing me to end my obligation (I did not want) with the $480 and resulting in a full price payment on the new phone?!?!  As I have said, T- Mobile will do that for me all day long.

I would be ecstatic to get $200 credit on my S6 right now, oh but I can't because I couldn't get it back.  But guess what 10/24 (10 out of 24 payments on the S7E) of $480 is $200.  I would also be ecstatic if you took back the phone I never wanted and gave me $200 towards the Note 8!

I owe $462 on the S7E, so my $480 savings on the Note gives me a whopping $18 benefit.  The other way to look at it is for $182 (the $200 credit that is fair - $18) you get to keep 5 lines and make a customer feel good about a company.  That is $36.40 a line for retention.

Oh and the $100 I received, I took as a training fee.  There were many hours both on the phone and in store that I educated the VZ representatives from issues on the return policy to how to transfer data to a new phone

Please re-evaluate the "Deal" you are offering customers in my situation.

Thank you.

TLEON996
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was online at Best Buy a couple hours ago using the live chat button to ask about this. According to him, my S7E would have a trade in value of $379.99 that could be applied to the $429 I still owe. I haven't been into a Best Buy to talk to a sales rep in person. Has anyone here checked into this at a BB store? If true, I'd say [Removed] the Samsung or Verizon offer and go with this.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

STELEI48
Enthusiast - Level 1

What verizon and samsung are doing with this promo is an absolute slap in the face to previous note 7 customers and will end up hurting them one day. I have a growing pipeline corrosion survey business with almost 30 employees. I am looking into business plans for my company to provide cell phone service to my employees. I can tell you that verizon will not be getting it. The 50% off a phone that will be compensated over the course of 2 years is a joke and anyone with half a brain can see that!

tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Update on my chat with Corporate.

First, they are only going on a case by case basis.  If someone wants to argue the payoff/buyout, they need to contact Corporate and talk it out Leadership | About Verizon .  The reason they aren't offering this as a global sort of offer is just due to the number of customers and the manpower that would be required to implement everything; as a project manager and business analyst, I'll keep my view on that to people's imaginations Smiley Happy to keep from possibly burning good will bridges.

Now, a few things.  There are two types of contracts; 24 months of payments and 100% cost, or 24 months worth of payments and 50% cost to get an upgrade (the previous annual upgrade option).  Either way, the phone, whichever one the customer has, MUST be fully paid before they can upgrade.  What this means is that if a person had the 25/50%, they still have to pay the 12 month balance on the phone (the equivalent of the last 12 payments); they would just be allowed to upgrade once the phone was paid to the 50% value.  I admit this didn't make a whole bunch of sense, as, the customer could upgrade at any time once the phone is paid off, regardless of when, the way current contracting goes.  A customer could make three payments, pay off the balance and immediately upgrade.

The offer I was given was this.  My payment agreement was for 24/100% (I was never given an alternate possibility).  I will have my 12th payment completed on 15 September, at which time, Verizon would credit exactly half of the amount owed, so, by numbers, $214.50 to apply to the phone balance, leaving a cost of $214.50 to pay in order to do the upgrade.  The other option was to, before my next statement comes out, credit the $214.50 to my account balance, which, with my bill would mean no payment required for the month, with balance applied to the next statement.  It wouldn't be applied to the balance on the phone, but the idea would be to reduce the bill to save the money to get the half credit to pay off the phone.  Same end result, just applied differently.  There is no 100% buyout being offered even with corporate contact.  This is a one-time ever option and wouldn't be offered again.  So, if someone says, I don't like the Note 8 I want to upgrade to the Note 9, they would have to have the phone fully paid; no reductions or credits.

The current promotion is as written.  The $480 cost reduction over the course of the standard 24 month payment agreement.  If someone wants to buy the Note 8 outright, or they want to buyout the overall cost early, they would not receive any reduction in the cost, or would not be credited the remaining balance of the credit, as currently offered.  A trade-in would still be allowed obviously but it is reduced to the regular trade-in value and not the promotional, 24 month payment plan, credit.  I've never done a trade-in as my previous phones have been given to family or friends; is the amount an immediate credit and reduction or is it applied over time..like the credit currently being offered over the 24 payments?

Verizon did indicate that it is possible (not guaranteed) a different promotion would be given once the pre-order time ends on 14 September.  Starting 15 September, the phones will be available in the regular stores...obviously available inventory depends upon the individual store location.

Next, for the heck of it I ran the process through Verizon online.  When I requested the option of the upgrade, I was given two choices...either add the new device (as a second line) or pay off, in my case the Edge, and keep it; there was no option for payoff/buyout and trade-in.  I added it to the cart anyway, under the payoff and keep, figuring I could go through the regular trade-in process at the end..nope, the Edge did not come up as a trade-in option; only my iPad and funny enough, the Note 7 (sent back last year but still showing as an inactive line).  I asked about this, and Verizon indicated a pre-order with a remaining balance on the payment plan is not possible in one transaction.  The customer would have to first pay off the phone in one transaction, and then go through the pre-order process.  I am guessing this also holds true for any orders placed after the pre-order period.

I admit I forgot to ask about the Samsung deal and moving it to Verizon; if the Edge could be paid off with extra payments or if it had to be maintained as a new line alongside the Note 8.  If I get some time I'll call back and see if I can get that question answered.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TLEON996,

I can assure you that we want to make sure you get a phone you'll love and we'd never want to see you go anywhere else. I know that cost matters to me as well and our current promotion is designed to help those who had to go to another phone. I understand preferring to have the current phone paid off with the trade in but it does need to be paid first in this case. The amount you'll get toward the new phone though will cover that so the total by the time the new phone is paid for ends up being the same. What concerns do you have about this option? I want to find a solution that's going to address them and help you get the hpone you want.

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!