Why no more fires?
lowsaturn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems like there were reports of fires almost daily for a few weeks. Then as soon as the second recall was announced and we were told to power down and return the Note 7, all reports of fires stopped. Even though they estimate about have the Note 7's sold are still in use. With that many Note 7's still in use, why no more fires?

Re: Why no more fires?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

My point exactly I saw one report that at least 77% of note 7 was still being used and not a beep about a fire I really think that they jumped the gun on this one.I now have a phone that I did not want I mean I like the edge but it is Not the note 7 but this is what I am going to be stuck with for 2 yrs but i AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.

ZUKZEKIM
Contributor - Level 1

Mine still works perfectly. No issues. yet

Weth
Legend

Because the number in use is drastically smaller now.

This is is not unusual in defective and recalled products.  The problem is Samsung doesn't know the exact cause, and therefore there is no wat to predict when this will happen.  Since the outcome is potentially catastrophic, it makes little sense to bet the farm it will never happen to me.  It doesn't happen to you until it does.  

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

kathy65793 wrote:

My point exactly I saw one report that at least 77% of note 7 was still being used and not a beep about a fire I really think that they jumped the gun on this one.I now have a phone that I did not want I mean I like the edge but it is Not the note 7 but this is what I am going to be stuck with for 2 yrs but i AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.

About 60% returned, leaving 1 million out there.  Rate of catching fire 1:42000.  Number at risk 24.   Do you feel lucky?

0 Likes
tc2013
Contributor - Level 1

Wrong kind of math....lol.... try again. Smiley Happy

Weth
Legend

2.5 million sold - 1 million still not returned. 1/2.5 = 0.4  = 40% still out there. 100 - 40 = 60% returned

Over a million Galaxy Note 7 phones still on after recalls - CNET

1 million phones * 1/42,000 estimated chance = 23.8     24 potential fires based on odds.

Samsung halts Galaxy Note 7 sales after battery explosions  - LA Times

Let's see your math.

Tidbits
Legend

In the US Samsung says 85% of them have been returned. 

If there are let's say 10% that could have happened there is a chance that all 10% of them were returned, and the reason why you haven't heard any more about them.  Also Samsung if they catch you before you go to the media they force you to sign a NDA and say nothing about it to anyone.

tc2013
Contributor - Level 1

c'mon, that's junior high mathematics.  -->  Probability!!

Probability number never changed from the total pool.  You have 2.5 millions out there.. or 25 out there... the "probability of catching fire" will never change.

To make it simpler for those whom not as familiar with mathematics: 

If chances of catching fire = 0.00005%,  it sounds pretty safe to me.

What you mentioned about "24 potential fires based on odds."...that sounds too hard-sell!

The odd is 24 out of 1 million!! And out of that 1 million, based on how the mass are treating their phones. Lots of variations!! (Do everyone risk fully charged to 100% all the time? Fast-Charging? Running lots of Apps? Putting the phone at heated area?)

Anyhow, if there is 24 fatal accidents happened everyday among 1 millions drivers in the U.S., will you stop driving or never let your kids to drive?!!  .....just curious!

Why being so furious against ppl still favoring their Note7?

Weth
Legend

So if you were in charge you would allow these things on planes?  It is the potential for catastrophic repercussions that is the real reason behind this.  I don't want any of these in hospitals, hotels, office buildings, ships, planes -- anywhere a catastrophic end result can occur. 

And and the lack of knowing exact cause and inciting event is problematic. Just because it is not answerable doesn't mean you discount it. 

But back to the original question on this thread, the fact there is less phones out there, only 15% of original, is the reason you are not hearing any more events. 

From a personal liability state, one is crazy to keep using this Phone.