Why is my data usage so high?
cmartin323

I recently switched from using a BlackBerry Torch 9810 on AT&T to a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon. On my old phone, I used 50 - 75MB of data a month. So, when I switched, I thought it would be safe to go with the 250MB data plan. There are almost 2 weeks left in the period and I'm at 90% usage. How is that possible. I'm not using this phone any more than I used the BlackBerry. I checked my usage online and it said I used 47MB this morning at 9 AM. I wasn't even using my phone at 9 AM. It was 15 feet away from me on the coffee table.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is my data usage so high?
LBell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Coming from a blackberry device to the Note 3 running Android can be a challenge.  Data usage is surely something that requires your attention.  Obviously if you can use Wifi, then do. Unlike the few on this forum, I have no issue with my WiFi service or my phones connectivity to it.  When I am at home I use Wifi and turn my mobile data off for good measure.  Something you might want to check is your Sync options.  I try to make sure my email accounts are synced often but other apps I only tend to care about when I open that particular app.  Say Facebook for instance.  That app alone can sync up often and I really only care if it does when I open it.  Same for Instagram or Pintrest or any number of "applications" uploaded to the device.  On tip you might consider is to retraict the data to those apps so that data is only transferred while you have them open.  Go to settings>data usage then scroll down to the app below the usage graph.  I select Facebook and then scroll down and select restrict background data.  I do this for applications I know have a tendency to sync quite frequently.

From settings>data usage select "limit mobile data usage" and "alert me about data usage" then set the graph up to alert you at a certain point prior to your limit being reached and set your limit of monthly data. You set these bars by touching the bars and moving them up and down to your desired location.  Example is say you have a 2GB limit.  Set the red bar at 2GB and then set the orange bar at 1 or 1.5GB so that you receive an alert to notify you. Another thing I do is at night, I turn mobile data and sync off.  Take two fingers and pull down the complete notification bar panel and make sure you select the mobile data and sync to where they are not lit green.  Then when I pull the device off hte charger in the morning I repeat this and turn them back on.

Also making sure your play store apps are not updating on your network data and only update when "you" update them or a WiFi network isavailable. Will help.  Just be mindful of the apps you download.  It you are looking for more ways to conserve data, you might Connect to WiFi first and then open You tube and search "conserve data" to watch a multitude of videos that can show you ways to save.  Just remember, that you tube uses data also and you can get rather caught up in the exploration of videos, so do this on wifi.  Disable apps you may not use or want to use.  I disabled Google+.  seems odd to do but it is a battery hog and I am simply unfamiliar wiht the app so I just disabled it.  Phone still works fine.  I load my pictures and videos to my laptop.  So to each his own.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well obviously you're not familiar with Android. You most likely didn't change your app settings and apps are auto updating and updating over mobile data. I have my apps set to update over wi-fi only. You can also have them set to not auto-update at all. You're Note 3 will show which apps are using your data. Settings -  Mobile Data. it will show the apps in order of most usage to least. You can adjust the time period to match your billing period. I also disable many of the pre-installed apps I know I'm not going to use.

cmartin323

You are correct. I certainly am not familiar with Android. Thank you for your response. I changed the settings like you mentioned. Hopefully, this will make a difference. Thanks again.

0 Likes
BigKitty
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Note 3 updates every day It is a horrible data hog  it mines data all the time unless you turn off the data. I can tell you this from personal experience anything you use on it REQUIRES DATA.  The WIFI connection goes in and out and is not reliable the new os they just sent out is why this is happening,

0 Likes
LBell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Coming from a blackberry device to the Note 3 running Android can be a challenge.  Data usage is surely something that requires your attention.  Obviously if you can use Wifi, then do. Unlike the few on this forum, I have no issue with my WiFi service or my phones connectivity to it.  When I am at home I use Wifi and turn my mobile data off for good measure.  Something you might want to check is your Sync options.  I try to make sure my email accounts are synced often but other apps I only tend to care about when I open that particular app.  Say Facebook for instance.  That app alone can sync up often and I really only care if it does when I open it.  Same for Instagram or Pintrest or any number of "applications" uploaded to the device.  On tip you might consider is to retraict the data to those apps so that data is only transferred while you have them open.  Go to settings>data usage then scroll down to the app below the usage graph.  I select Facebook and then scroll down and select restrict background data.  I do this for applications I know have a tendency to sync quite frequently.

From settings>data usage select "limit mobile data usage" and "alert me about data usage" then set the graph up to alert you at a certain point prior to your limit being reached and set your limit of monthly data. You set these bars by touching the bars and moving them up and down to your desired location.  Example is say you have a 2GB limit.  Set the red bar at 2GB and then set the orange bar at 1 or 1.5GB so that you receive an alert to notify you. Another thing I do is at night, I turn mobile data and sync off.  Take two fingers and pull down the complete notification bar panel and make sure you select the mobile data and sync to where they are not lit green.  Then when I pull the device off hte charger in the morning I repeat this and turn them back on.

Also making sure your play store apps are not updating on your network data and only update when "you" update them or a WiFi network isavailable. Will help.  Just be mindful of the apps you download.  It you are looking for more ways to conserve data, you might Connect to WiFi first and then open You tube and search "conserve data" to watch a multitude of videos that can show you ways to save.  Just remember, that you tube uses data also and you can get rather caught up in the exploration of videos, so do this on wifi.  Disable apps you may not use or want to use.  I disabled Google+.  seems odd to do but it is a battery hog and I am simply unfamiliar wiht the app so I just disabled it.  Phone still works fine.  I load my pictures and videos to my laptop.  So to each his own.  Good luck.

0 Likes