Why are deleted emails reappearing?
Blorff
Enthusiast - Level 2

The email program re-downloads old deleted emails. I have email set for do not delete from server so I can get it on my desktop. Emails are deleted from the server after 15 days. A compliant email program should not re-download messages it has already retrieved.

I have seen this reported elsewhere but have not seen any confirmation that it is a bug.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Deleted emails are reappearing
FinalTouch68
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FIXED IT.

Try this and see if this helps to all that are having this issue.

1. Delete your email account on your phone.

2. Add your email as a IMAP Account.

This will fix it. And if it don't I'm sorry you will have to contact your web server or email provider.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can see how getting the same emails after you've deleted them can become pretty annoying, Blorff. We'll find out what's causing it. What email account (Gmail, Yahoo, Comcast, etc) are you having trouble with? Are the deleted emails being deleted on your computer? Are they coming back to your phone even after they're removed from the server?

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Blorff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really don't understand your questions but I'll try to answer them.

Emails ARE NOT deleted from the server by my phone's email client because that's the way I want it. My computer is not relevant, however they are not deleted from my server by my computer either.  The server is set to delete emails after 15 days.

My email is a private company hosted at GoDaddy.

When I delete emails on my computer they don't get re-downloaded to the computer. That's the way this is supposed to work. The phone is supposed to work the same way but it does not. It used to, on the HTC Droid Incredible. However there is a bug in the mail client on the Samsung Note 3. It does not seem to be consistent. However on multiple occasions I have picked up he phone and found that it had pulled over 400 emails because of this bug. And then I have to delete them again.

No, emails do not come back to the phone if deleted from the server.

0 Likes
Blorff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can duplicate this problem by scrolling down to the bottom of my emails and if I attempt to scroll further, it goes to the server and pulls everything. My phone now has over 600 old emails on it, all but 50 of which have been previously viewed and deleted from the phone. I would appreciate if someone else can confirm this behaves the same way on their phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey Blorff,

Thanks for the additional information. That is odd that it worked on the Incredible and not the Note 3. I've have reviewed the forums and this is not a known issue at this time. Please try removing the e-mail account http://vz.to/1ctVZZu, and then re-addng it,http://vz.to/1cLCafP. Test the e-mails and let us know if the issues persist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Blorff
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, since you have not confirmed whether or not you are able to reproduce the problem using the same conditions, and whether deleting and re-adding the account fixes the problem I'm not going to do that. I have 5 different email accounts on the phone and it behaves this way with all of them.

0 Likes
MommaHinck
Enthusiast - Level 1

My new Note 3 behaves in the same way.  I grow tired of getting email notices for my Comcast mail that have been long ago discarded.  Yes they are still on the server but that's where I want them, not on my Note 3.  I don't have the same issue with Gmail or Hotmail.  I did not have this problem with my old Moto Bionic either. Verizon, please send a way to correct this bad behavior.  It's not just Blorff's phone.

Tidbits
Legend

Pop mail it seems like isn't working correctly. Is there an option in the app to mark as read?

0 Likes
MommaHinck
Enthusiast - Level 1

Both read and non read emails reappear but when they reappear they are all marked as unread.  My biggest concern was that this wasn't an issue with the old phone, whether it was marked read or non read.

Tidbits
Legend

Is there a setting to display x number of days?

Is there a setting to delete from server?

Pop mail doesn't delete from server or sync mail. So if something is still in the inbox depending on above settings it may display them because they are still on server when push happens.

It's one way. IMAP syncs mail. Personally I like IMAP over POP even if it eats more battery "in theory", but honestly it's negligible.

0 Likes