Why Is My Galaxy Note 5 Acting Up After Latest Update?
MitchHerd88
Enthusiast - Level 2

and now my phone is acting funky.  My text messages, as I am typing them, goes away and other odd things. I understand I can't uninstall the update but I sure would like to as I wasn't having issues prior to the update.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have a Note 5 and did a software update last night
MitchHerd88
Enthusiast - Level 2

**SOLUTION** After vising numerous websites throughout the day trying to find a resolution without having to "factory reset" my phone, I came across an article with step by step instructions on how to resolve our issue.  Reluctantly I gave it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  The step by step instructions are down below.   Now keep in mind the steps described below are actually for the Samsugn Galaxy S6 but it worked just the same with the Note 5. The process is called a WIPE CACHE PARTITION,  You will need to restore your voicemail messages, text messages, photos and videos but that was super simple as it was just a click of the button and everything was back to normal. You will be asked what apps you want to retain and this gave me a great chance to get rid of the apps I don't use. After completing the steps below I no longer have a quirky phone that heats up, whose battery drains, or has odd occurrences with functionality.  Here are the steps and good luck:

If you have problems with your smartphone or issues in the manner as described above, then you can try to solve this with a so called Wipe cache partition. This method deletes temporarily system files. Are these temporary files incorrectly, they can cause problems and errors. That's why it makes sense to perform a wipe cache partition to delete them on the Samsung Galaxy. 

1. Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Note 5 completely.

2. Then you have to press the following keys to turn on the phone on again: Power On/ Off Volume + Home button If the Samsung Note 5 vibrates once, release the power on/ off button but keep the other two keys from the key combination pressed until a small menu appears on the screen.

3. Now mark the entry "Wipe cache partition" with the volume down key.

4. With the power on / off button the entry can be selected selected and the process gets started. This usually takes only a few seconds. Then the previously displayed menu appears again.

5. Now select the first entry with "Reboot system now" and run the command again with a press of the power button.

7. Your Samsung Note 5 will now reboot.

8. That's it. The reboot can now might take a few seconds longer. After that no more errors such as overheating, black screen or battery drain should occur with your Samsung Galaxy Note 5.  You now know how to solve problems using a wipe cache partition on the Samsung Galaxy S6.

Source: http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/android-smartphones/533-samsung-galaxy-s6-perform-wipe-cache-parti...

Android Smartphones

© Solvemix - quick tips, tricks and solutions

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it was just a security update.

0 Likes
HIGHTECHGEEK
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I did the "just a security update", my phone too has had weird things happening... apps closing and flashing. My phone is now overheating when it's just sitting there and my battery has taken a nose dive off a cliff. It loses 10% every ten minutes! Something is definitely wrong with this update... help!

pherson
Champion - Level 1

Do a hard reset and wait a few days

0 Likes
MAXIMAKID05
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having the very same problem with my note 5 after last update. Apps not updating in playstore, phone over heating, excessive battery drain, and the overall performance of the phone is lagging. This needs to be fixed ASAP

lindamcd
Contributor - Level 1

I have been experiencing erratic behavior since the Sept. 8th update and now, since 2 days ago. Battery life is half of what it used to be. I'm telling you, something went wrong with the Note 5 marshmallow updates. Anyone can deny it. That doesn't make it so. Something has happened to our phones. I guess they want us to go in debt for another phone?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The only thing wrong with your phone is you not doing a factory data reset which will fix it.

0 Likes
MitchHerd88
Enthusiast - Level 2

I charged my battery before I went to bed last night as I use it for the alarm but when I woke up this morning, there was no alarm because my battery died over night.  It went from a full charge to nothing in a matter of hours.  This update is really causing havoc and it needs to be fixed. I don't think I should have to do a factory reset to get this fixed.

0 Likes
MitchHerd88
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to my phone doing a "Factory Reset" will result in me erasing all of my data, files and downloaded apps.  No thanks!

0 Likes
j-batchelor
Enthusiast - Level 2

"The only thing wrong with your phone is you not doing a factory data reset which will fix it."

That's not an acceptable solution, even if it's now our only solution. No one should have to go through the pain of wiping and restoring their phone after some random update. What it does is discourage users from installing system updates that they should for security's sake.

0 Likes