Re: When will Andriod 5.1.1 be released for the Galaxy Note 4?
Hotshoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good grief...

inntheboat
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well at the end of the day, Verizon is my service provider (and who I purchased my phone through — at a premium price, I might add!) and Samsung is the phone manufacturer.

Therefore, I blame both. I don't blame Google — they released 5.1.1 in April which fixes many of the bugs that a lot of users are having. It's Samsung and/or Verizon that's holding it up.

I shouldn't have to worry about updates crippling a high-dollar phone for extended periods of time. I understand an update with issues, but those should be resolved quickly. Google did that, Verizon and Samsung have not.

In general, the carrier update policy is flawed. Note, I did not say that the Android update policy is flawed — the Nexus line has it figured out.

That's why my only resolution at this point is to leave Verizon and Samsung.

Hotshoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's a false statement that four of the five don't have the update. All carriers have the update, one carrier has pushed it out. The Note 3 started the issue with Verizon for me. They didn't update the Note 3 for well over a year. Meanwhile, they were making huge dollars on customers who not only couldn't receive calls, they couldn't make a phone call. Then on top of all that, they denied the problem even existed. How anyone can defend them is mind-boggling. Now once again we have problems with Note 4 with reception going away just like on the Note 3. This is what a real company does. They ACKNOWLEDGE PROBLEMS and then they FIX THEM! Not that difficult to tell your clients we understand we have a problem occurring and this is our plan to fix it. Instead, it's deny, deny, deny just like car companies with recalls. Rediculous.

Tidbits
Legend

Have proof or a low level rep? Can you find someone from Samsung with clout willing to put his name that all carriers have said update? This matters.

0 Likes
free_popcorn
Contributor - Level 1

I see the Nexus 6P is being announced today with Marshmallow installed...while my Note 4 is still rocking 5.0, lol. I do have a question, and did not see a Nexus 6 thread so hopefully I do not redirect the topic at hand Smiley Happy With Mm released, does this mean the Verizon variant of the Nexus 6 will receive Mm immediately, or will Verizon keep the OTA update in their back pocket like they are currently doing with 5.1 and the Note 4? Seriously considering a Nexus device and was not sure if the same rules applied for OTA updates when it comes to Nexus. Thanks

Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

I am guessing they wont release the 6P until they get rid of all the overpriced Nexus 6 they have in stock.  Amazon is selling them for $349 and Verizon still wants $648 for them.  Unfortunately you cannot buy one from Amazon and use it with Verizon.  Verizon has us by the short and curlys on that...  5.1.1 is still awaited for the Note 4 and it will probably never see another update .  Verizon will have way moved on by them.  I did hear that you get your updates from Google for the Nexus line and not Verizon so there may be hope.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can purchase the Nexus 6 from Amazon and use it on the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

Not according to Amazon...  

• Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile as well as with GSM SIM cards (e.g. H20, Straight Talk, and select prepaid carriers). Unlocked cell phones will not work with CDMA Carriers like Sprint, Verizon, Boost or Virgin.

• Straight from Amazon's site!
0 Likes
free_popcorn
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you @Jjahn01, this is very helpful because I was thinking I could buy that same Nexus on Amazon you mentioned and be good to go. It be a huge disappointment if 5.1 is the last update the Note 4 sees, because I think this may be the last great Note from Samsung since many (including myself) rely on additional storage and swapping the battery. Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

Take that back after reading the Q&A

Q:

Will this work on Verizon?

A:

Here is the full story on using a Nexus 6 with VZW.
These phones are capable of physically communicating with the VZW network. The only problem is that the phone is not "officially" supported by Verizon; in other words, the IMEI numbers are not recognized as Verizon IMEIs. A low level tech at a VZW store will try to scan the IMEI barcode on your Nexus 6 box and their system will not accept it.
What you need to do is get a Verizon technical support person on the line and have them activate your phone manually. It has to have a sim card in order to be activated. Any tech can do this with one click of his mouse; if they tell you the IMEI is invalid or out of range, they are just refusing to help you. Call back, get another tech, and request that they activate the phone.
In a change of pace for Verizon (whom, until now, I've had nothing but contempt for), they seem to be more than willing to activate these phones for current customers. I haven't heard of a person whose activation was refused. Just understand that it is not quite as simple as using an officially supported device.
Since getting mine activated last night, I rooted the phone, and have enabled free/unrestricted WIFI hotspot capability. It works flawlessly. My downstream LTE bandwidth at home went from 24 mbps with my Galaxy S3 to 33 mbps with the Nexus. see less

josh warren answered on March 1, 2015